 Local / United Kingdom / 673
Re: All UK Groups subscribed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 05:53:18 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, carbon60@bigfoot.com (Carbon 60) writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
Please do not spam all the UK groups with a message like this.  Anyone who
cares will easily figure out that the bulk of the UK traffic is happening
in the loc.uk group, and if they choose to post there, that's fine.  But I
don't want people to be discouraged from ever using the smaller groups.

1)  It's not SPAM - that's unsolicited commercial e-mail, this has no
monetary value whatsoever.

Spam doesn't have to be commercial to be spam.  In Usenet, what Richard did
is a particular type of spam known as "excessive multiposting" (although I
haven't looked yet to see whether it was a single crossposted message or the
same message posted multiple times).

2)  I don't want newbies going to local groups seeing that no-one posts
there and therefore thinking that there is no UK LEGO Community and not
using the local groups.

Then we should talk about how to solve this problem.

I had to wait for over a week for a reply in
another local group.  Also lugnet.loc.uk.en has a stack of posts in
there and people think it's an active group and try to start a new
thread which then is started there and people miss out - I think my post
should be posted there if not all the UK groups.

People can post wherever they feel is the most appropriate place to post.
Sometimes the England group is going to be more appropriate than the all-of-
UK group -- not always, of course, but sometimes.  Same with Scotland or
Northern Ireland, for example, or a smaller place.

3)  Why is there 83 UK groups anyway?  Look at the size of the
country!!  Look at the size of Canada - it's got 32 groups.

The UK population is 2x that of Canada and much of Canada is virtually
uninhabited.

I reckon we should have one group per county instead.

The theory behind all of the loc groups (worldwide) is that they're city-
based to assist in the formation of local clubs, get-togethers, local
shopping information, etc.  There's typically one city represented in each
county or one city represented wherever there is a large population.  The
higher-level groups are really just there as a fallback for times when the
local groups are too localised.

Right now, since there are only about 100 or so delurked LEGO fans online in
the UK, the top-level .loc.uk group seems to be where most people prefer to
congregate.  In the US, it's a bit of a different story -- the main .loc.us
group barely sees any traffic at all (only 24 posts as of right now) while
the more local city groups (San Francisco, Denver, Boston, etc.) are all
seeing more traffic.

Someday (and maybe it'll take another year or two), the smaller city/town
local subgroups of .loc.uk will be more inviting as more people come online.
The all-new and much-improved browseable web-interface structure into the
groups (coming soon) will also greatly help people find the local groups so
that they can decide which is the most appropriate place for them (for a
given message or thread).

Besides, pretty soon from the web you'll be able to browse a whole
combined hierarchy at once (meaning all the messages in a group and
in all of its subgroups).

That would be a good idea but doesn't work well from NNTP.

No, it won't work from NNTP.  What I do right now for the US groups is I am
subscribed to all of them via e-mail as daily digests; that way I never miss
anything and I don't have to subscribe to each of them as NNTP newsgroups.
I only get mail from a group when there's a message posted to it.

If you want to let people know that most people have decided to
congregate in a single UK group, just post that to the main UK group
and anyone who cares will see it.  If anyone is reading only a smaller
group and not the main group, they are insane.

Yeah but the UK does have insane people so they might miss out on the a
message in lugnet.loc.uk telling them to post to lugnet.loc.uk

No one should be "told" to post exclusively to the main UK group.  At most,
people should be simply *made aware* that if they don't post to the main
group, their message may not be read by most people.  It's their individual
decision and choice.

I agree that we should try to figure out a way to educate people that the
.loc.uk group is where most people have voluntarily chosen to congregate and
that they too may wish to congregate there.

I'd like to hear some ideas on how we can do this (without spamming all the
groups with imperative statements).

It doesn't have to be one single solution either -- it could be a
combination of things, for example

- something for the FAQ
- something on the webpages
- something that gets mailed to the poster the first time they post
etc.

--Todd