 Local / United Kingdom / 683
Re: All UK Groups subscribed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 16:42:29 GMT

On Wed, 12 May 1999 20:40:36 GMT, Carbon 60 <carbon60@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

1)  It's not SPAM - that's unsolicited commercial e-mail, this has no
monetary value whatsoever.

It certainly is spam. It does NOT have to be commercial in nature in
order to be spam. In fact, back when I played on the MU*, we would
call ourselves "spammed" when we were listening to two different
places through two different puppets, and both were busy. It was
WANTED spam, but it was still spammy -- filled up the screen quickly
such that we could not follow what was going on. BAD spam was when
someone started filling up your screen/disturbing things with OOC talk
instead of IC. And on newsgroups, massively cross-posted posts (or the
same post separately posted to a massive number of groups) is also
spam.

I even consider it spam when people email me urban legends and try to
get me to send them on to "everyone in your address book" Sorry, the
$250 cookie recipe isn't, Craig Sherhold is no longer dying of cancer,
and the American Heart Society is not paying per email sent around.

Sarah Heacock
sarah@eskimo.com