 Local / United Kingdom / 680
Re: All UK Groups subscribed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 09:06:51 GMT

Right now, since there are only about 100 or so delurked LEGO fans online in
the UK, the top-level .loc.uk group seems to be where most people prefer to
congregate.  In the US, it's a bit of a different story -- the main .loc.us
group barely sees any traffic at all (only 24 posts as of right now) while
the more local city groups (San Francisco, Denver, Boston, etc.) are all
seeing more traffic.

Yeah - but I think it is a bit different in the US. I've only been to
the USA once - and I don't know if other people have found the same thing
- so tell me if anyone else disagrees...
but one of the overwhelming things I found in the USA was it didn't
feel like one country in the same way the UK does - because it was so big.
I remember watching the news - and stuff from the another State seemed
like it was another country. It was more comparable to watching the news
in Britain and seeing a report about something in France or Holland.

I mean - like - in the UK you'd just about drive most of the length of
the populated part of the country in a day if you really had to. You
wouldn't do that in the USA!

So I wonder if, when you're making comparisons for what feels local
/appropriate for a local group, it'd be better to compare the UK
(or other European countries) to a US state, rather than the USA.

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com