 Local / United Kingdom / 667
Re: All UK Groups subscribed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 22:32:31 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Richard Dee writes:
On Tue, 11 May 1999 22:31:40 GMT, Carbon 60 uttered the following
profundities...
Who's got all the loc.uk.* groups subscribed?
If so would it be possible to send a message to all of them like this:
[...]
I would do this myself but Netscape News is really unstable at the
moment.

I am. I will. Though there are and have been no messages for
weeks.

Richard & Simon,

Please do not do this; please do not spam all the UK groups with a message
like this -- there are too many loc.uk.* groups (83) for this to be a
reasonable solution.

Anyone who cares to know will either easily figure out all by themselves
that the bulk of the UK traffic is happening in the .loc.uk group, or they
can see your message in the .loc.uk group itself.  If they choose to take
heed of your suggestion and post there exclusively, that's fine.  But I
don't people to be discouraged from ever using the smaller groups.

Besides, pretty soon from the web you'll be able to browse a whole combined
hierarchy at once (meaning all the messages in a group and in all of its
subgroups), and on top of that, everyone will be able to find any given group
far easier.

So if you want to let people know that most people have decided to congregate
in a single UK group, please only post your message to the main UK group.  If
anyone is reading only a smaller UK subgroup and not the main UK group, then
they are probably insane and won't be able to find the UK group anyway.

--Todd

OK, this post obviously wasn't heeded. >-( I was patient enough to see that
Richard did apologize for doing this though. His neck is in Todd's hands
now, so I'll let Todd deal with him. However, is there any way to clean up
the traffic page in the mean time for those of us who don't browse the UK
groups?

Duane