 Local / United Kingdom / 719
Re: What little loc groups are best for
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 00:11:23 GMT

Simon,
Any thoughts on how the introductory postings could be improved?  Here's how
message #1 starts for (just to pick one at random) Dover, Kent, England:

--Todd

My own suggestion would be something like this. Roughly what I've
changed is to remove the technical-looking lines and replace them
by more friendly sounding information. At the same time, though, I think
the info should be in the pages leading up to the group - stupid, as
it may sound, I bet a lot of people won't read the introductory message.

Welcome to lugnet.loc.uk.en.kt.dov, a LUGNET discussion group.

The purpose of these discussion groups is
     General-purpose discussion groups for specific localities around the
     world: events, social gatherings, swap-meets, fests, tours, shopping
     excursions, local user group meetings, etc.

This group covers the area around
     Dover, Kent, England.

There are also groups covering
England (at http://www.lugnet.etc....
The UK (at http://etc...

You might find it useful to check these groups as well, as different
people tend to leave messages in different groups (or words to that effect)

  For complete information about this discussion group server, including
  a full listing of discussion groups and their purposes, point your web
  browser here:  http://www.lugnet.com/news/

Anyway, hope that helps!
It's really nice that you are open to suggestions from us users :)

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com