 Local / Nederland / 1280
Re: Set #10021 has been spotted at Shop at Home!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:36:34 GMT

In lugnet.loc.nl, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Let people speculate and don't worry about it. If you don't want to hear it,
don't read it. But don't pooh pooh it as somehow not valid when in fact it's
more likely to be valid than your own speculation, as has been proven out
before.

I don't worry about it at all.  Feel free to speculate, not that you need my
permission.

I just don't like it when people assert speculative reasoning as the grounds
set certain for why a thing cannot be done.  That's basically absurd,
because no one outside the company really knows precisely why TLC or Lego
Direct has chosen to follow certain policies.  Sure, we can assume that they
do things that they think will make a profit (and I happen to think that
some of their thinking is faulty in this area) but that's about it.  The
rest is largely unknown.

And where has my own speculation been shown to be invalid before? More on
this anon...

Your line of argument is not affirming and is itself discussion stifling.

Shutting down a discussion is not in and of itself necessarily a bad thing.

But I think it depends on what you are trying to affirm -- why a thing can
or cannot be done.  I think it's more positive to think of why things can
and should be done rather than the reverse.  Why does anyone want to spend
all kinds of time, lacking critical information on the matter, to merely
conclude that something can't or shouldn't be done?

1x1x1 windows?  No, it'll never happen because blah, blah, blah...End of story.

What is SO affirming about that?

I think it used to be asserted fairly regularly that cypress trees would
never come again.  Was my thinking on the matter faulty?  I didn't so much
have some business plan put together for them on the subject, that's their
job to deal with -- I just kept saying that it would be a great element to
bring back and they did bring it back. Just like magic, the improbable was
instantly not only probable but an actuality.  Just like the Guarded Inn and
the Metroliner, the unlikely made real. Two years ago all but the few would
have had many things to say about the improbability of the Legends line --
and yet here it is.

And keep in mind that this stuff isn't in the way of innovative products
that have never been, just old stuff they needed to bring back into
production.  Even so, I understand that these Legends have been something of
a hit -- and yet I keep getting told that these old sets and old elements do
not interest the kids and blah, blah, blah...

This is why I don't care for this kind of speculation -- it not very
affirming, as a matter of fact!  Can you show me where it has been otherwise?

I am more interested in what builders are doing and what they want for the
future.  A lot of what may be wanted is merely stuff that has gone before.
A lot of what builders want is just greater access to more ordinary elements
in greater quantitities.  I don't care about the business plan part of it,
and even if you do your arguments take the form of speculating with
imperfect knowledge of what it takes in totality to bring something to
fruition. All the naysaying armchair business planners never got me cypress
trees or a Guarded Inn.

I will take credit for one thing, not that it is very much -- but when I
want a thing I stay focused and don't let other's opinions sway me from what
I know to be a good thing.

I can't think of a time when I went out of my way to tell you that you
wouldn't get your train action, Lar -- that would not have been very
affirming.  Why would you, or anyone else, want to rain on my 1x1x1 window
thing, small as it is?

And again, even if you do want to naysay such things -- you really don't
know what will happen do you?

-- Hop-Frog