 Local / Nederland / 1273
Re: Set #10021 has been spotted at Shop at Home!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:26:20 GMT

In lugnet.loc.nl, Marc Nelson, Jr. writes:

I don't buy the excuse of "LEGO can't afford to make new molds." They make
molds for new pieces by the barrelful every time a new line comes out. If
they can afford to make new molds for a lot of weird, single-use pieces
(Galidor limbs, King Leo's Castle gate, etc.), then they can afford to make
a mold for something as useful and reusable as a 1x1 window.

There is no excuse - LEGO (for whatever reason) doesn't WANT to make the
mold for this piece, so it doesn't. Let's see if they make back their $100K
on the "Nick Bluetooth" molds.

-Marc Nelson Jr.

Alright, this flipped my switch. Now I *have* to respond :-)
Your argument that they make new molds for all new lines is valid. But
pleace remember that those new lines are to be sold to 'the world'. And in
that world, there are an enormous amount of customers for TLC. Don't think
hundreds, think millions and millions. Mostly kids, but also adults who buy
gifts for kids.
Now, those 1x1 windows mold would be for re-released sets. Sets that a large
part of those millions and millions of customers will never see and/or buy.
Why? Because:
-they shop in stores, not at shop.lego.com
-they like the new sets better, as these are more geared towards present-day
kids/customers (common marketing sence)
-the 1x1 window is way to small to be given to small(er) kids. Did you find
any 1x1's in the newer sets? WE call it juniorised, they call it saver for
kids. (please don't start a discussion about juniorisation here)
Just try to remember that 'TLC must do this because WE (as in 'I') want
this' won't work. TLC must focus on the majority of its customers and -sad
as it may be for us- WE are NOT, nor will ever BE, the majority of TLC
customers.
We may be lucky if we even make 0.0001% of it.

So in short: no, a company as TLC will not create new molds for just such a
small segment of its market. Only if it is proven to be a profitable step
for TLC will they perhaps reconsider that. And now it is up to us to prove
that ;-)

Mark -and I never studied marketing..honest- de Kock