 Local / Nederland / 1271
Re: Set #10021 has been spotted at Shop at Home!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 05:39:13 GMT

In lugnet.loc.nl, Jeff Stembel writes:
In lugnet.general, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.loc.nl, John Henry Kruer writes:
Oh, come on... Lego dosn't have the molds, they  couldn't do it if they
wanted to.

This same tired argument again and again.

Its only tired to those who refuse to accept that TLC doesn't have limitless
coffers.

But, of course, they COULD do it with the right windows -- if they wished.

Yes, they *could.*  And I could one day fly a manned spacecraft to Saturn.  It
*could* happen, but it isn't very likely.

What exactly do you think TLC is in the business of doing?  Don't have the
molds? Make new ones. It would jump the price?  Maybe.  I didn't realize any
of us knew that much about their internal strategizing, although I admit
it's not a bad assumption.  But nobody knows for sure either, right?

I've heard from multiple sources that making a new mold costs $100,000.
Someone mentioned that a $15 price increase would be worthwhile to them for
those windows, but Lego would still have to sell 6,667 copies of the set just
to *cover* the cost of the mold.  Since they are a business, as you keep
saying, they have to make a profit.  Can you guarantee they'd sell enough to
cover their expenses and still make a worthwhile profit?  I sure can't.

I don't buy the excuse of "LEGO can't afford to make new molds." They make
molds for new pieces by the barrelful every time a new line comes out. If
they can afford to make new molds for a lot of weird, single-use pieces
(Galidor limbs, King Leo's Castle gate, etc.), then they can afford to make
a mold for something as useful and reusable as a 1x1 window.

There is no excuse - LEGO (for whatever reason) doesn't WANT to make the
mold for this piece, so it doesn't. Let's see if they make back their $100K
on the "Nick Bluetooth" molds.

-Marc Nelson Jr.