 Local / Nederland / 1258
Re: Set #10021 has been spotted at Shop at Home!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 12:50:42 GMT

In lugnet.loc.nl, Jeff Stembel writes:
I've heard from multiple sources that making a new mold costs $100,000.
Someone mentioned that a $15 price increase would be worthwhile to them for
those windows, but Lego would still have to sell 6,667 copies of the set just
to *cover* the cost of the mold.
This assumes that the mold would be solely used for one set. But a 1x1
window would have applications beyond this single set. As Mike Walsh already
noted, it would be used in a re-released Yellow Castle, and would
undoubtably sell very, very well as a bulk pack in any color.

If LEGO Direct wanted to make a business case for creating a mold for an
element that would receive common use in multiple sets, present and future,
the 1x1 window would be a fine candidate. After all, every time a new
element is injected into any mold, the mold receives a little wear, and must
eventually be replaced. LEGO must make new molds nearly continuously.

For this particular element, it may be more than the mold. 1x1 windows with
glass probably require an assembly jig that doesn't exist anymore as well.

Cary