 Local / Nederland / 1272
Re: Set #10021 has been spotted at Shop at Home!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 07:39:24 GMT

In lugnet.loc.nl, Marc Nelson, Jr. writes:
I don't buy the excuse of "LEGO can't afford to make new molds." They make
molds for new pieces by the barrelful every time a new line comes out. If
they can afford to make new molds for a lot of weird, single-use pieces
(Galidor limbs, King Leo's Castle gate, etc.), then they can afford to make
a mold for something as useful and reusable as a 1x1 window.

I think (as Larry P and others have stated) the issue here is not whether
the Lego Company can or is willing to reproduce these parts, but rather that
'Lego Direct', the department within Lego whose brief it is to make these
Legends, wasn't given the power to issue new molds.
I imagine if over time  the 'Legends' experiment proves successful Lego
Direct may be granted those powers, but remember a large company (even a
privately owned one) doesn't turn on a penny.

There is no excuse - LEGO (for whatever reason) doesn't WANT to make the
mold for this piece, so it doesn't. Let's see if they make back their $100K
on the "Nick Bluetooth" molds.
We'll see.  Never underestimate the power of the kiddy konsumer :)

Michael Dallaston