 Local / Nederland / 1266
Re: Set #10021 has been spotted at Shop at Home!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 17:13:01 GMT

So you think it is okay to demand the moon and the stars from TLC without even
considering what they would have to go through to give it to you?  I'm sorry,
but that is highly faulty logic.

True....it may not be logical thinking.  But even still, as a consumer he
is very entitled to voice his opinion, regardless of the fact of how TLC
views his buying from him or not.

I don't want to say I'm getting tired of the getting old cliche..."AFOLs
make only a small part of the population".  I think a more appropriate reason
is that the company is child-focused.  That is probably a more accurate
statement.  While AFOL's are only a niche in the population, I think we
should give ourselves more credit than that...I, myself, have purchased
WAY more than I was able to when I was a child....

I spend more money on the brick, than my parents, friends, and relatives
combined....

here's the topper... while my budget towards Lego has increased umpteen
fold, the sources of brick have also increased.  I still purchase a lot from
E-bay, and now increasingly from Bricklink.  I also buy from retail, but
not as much as in the past, and also from the company itself.

These aren't the only factors.  Another factor to consider is how the company
generates its marketing data.  I don't think it takes a population of
consumers and asked them each who they are purchasing for.  Yes, they do
generate information from their "Opinion Page".

Let me approach that from another angle.  My account with them only shows
a small fraction of what I buy with my budget.  Like I said, I buy from other
sources.  So, the money I spent at retail is lumped with everyone else,
so it makes it look like as a whole AFOL's make up only a small fraction
of Lego's target market.

And even if I did want to consider it, it's all very vague, lacking in any
hard data, and full of presumptions besides.  Keep it simple.  You either do
or do not want the element in question.

True, we don't have all the facts.  However, we can do research and make
educated guesses as to some of the costs involved, and even with basic numbers,
it becomes obvious as to the feasibility.  I see little point in annoying Lego
Direct with broken-record-like demands that have little to know chance of ever
seeing the light of day.  All it does is turn them off to us.

And yes, I would like to have 1x1 windows.  As I said earlier, I would also
like to go to Saturn.  Neither are likely to happen anytime in the near future,
if ever, so why bother asking?

<snippage>

Yes, the final decision is up to TLC.  I don't see why we can't do some
preliminary work on our own first to decide whether it is even worth it to
*ask*, though.

True....but what about the other 2500 odd parts (molds) generated by LEGO.
It may take a lot of money to come up with new molds, but they are
coming out with them...even for "dead-end" lines like Jack Stone.

(I can predict another year of shelves of products that only leave due to
clearance....yes, consumers are too spoiled as it is...(sigh). )

Also, coming up with new molds ONLY for a set doesn't merit any logic.
Using the same mold for multiple legends, and a later issued parts pack,
starts to make sense.  Let's look at the bigger picture.  It costs money
but some of the costs can be spread out.

Personally, I really don't care for the part by itself.  But the part in
question, does look good in comparison to the substitute they are
offering with the set.  Are they going to use the same substitution in
future sets, when the substitution looks worse, and there's more
complaints and less purchases.  Then it will put them at a rock/hard place.

If they were to develop the part now, they could, as I said earlier, spread
the part out.

I want to finish this message with the echo of agreement, that its a
shame that Brad and the rest of Lego Direct don't have access to some of the
molds.

Sorry for the rant,

Benjamin Medinets