 Local / Nederland / 1235
Re: Set #10021 has been spotted at Shop at Home!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 15:17:33 GMT

In lugnet.loc.nl, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.loc.nl, Hjalmar Haagsman writes:
Incredibly UGLY I think.

That's what *all* LEGO models looked like in "the old days". Kids were
encouraged to build great models with a much more limited array of bricks.

I think it comes from a time when certain objects had to be 'represented'
rather than being made from a brick that was made specifically for that
object.  Example in this set... the sails.  The bricks are made to represent
the sails, not to specifically *be* cloth sails.  Very clever and highly
reusable.

A similar example can be found in something as recent as the Sopwith Camel.
The wheels on that plane aren't wheels at all, but rather steering wheels
for automobiles.  They are only used to represent the tires on the plane.
Again, both clever and functional.

Personally, I think this is what helps define a 'good' LEGO set design over
a bad one.  The idea of using a more limited set of bricks with less
specialty pieces is what always made LEGO such an amazing toy for me.  This
ship may not look as sleek as some others, but to me it *looks* like a LEGO
set.  :)

If there was something I WONT buy it's this set!

But just think of all the other things that can be built with the more
generic bricks that are included.  :)

What kind of set is it? Made by a fan?

I don't think it's any less a design than the yellow castle.

All the best,
Allan B.

- Expert Builder website
- http://apotome.com/builder