 Local / Nederland / 1275
Re: Set #10021 has been spotted at Shop at Home!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 07:14:31 GMT

William R Ward wrote:
This is the key point.  What possible use could there be for a 1x1
window in new sets?  The old style 1x2x2 and 1x2x4 and other sizes of
windows are no longer made, so the 1x1 wouldn't have any "family" to
be used alongside of.  It's just not "cool" enough to warrant use in a
new set.  Can you imagine a Harry Potter or Star Wars set using this
piece?  And I don't just mean using this piece, I mean *needing* it,
enough to justify the cost of creating a mold?  If not, forget it.

Hmm, I seem to have ordered a bag of white classic 1x2x2 windows from
S@H a year or so ago...

The thing that can be done with the 1x1x1 classic window which is real
nice is to make a decent looking mullioned window. Of course those don't
show up in real life all that much any more. But then TLC doesn't make
the most common US residential window either.

You're right, but I think it goes farther - there isn't an ice cube's
chance in heck that it will ever be possible for us to prove that.
There just aren't enough uses for a 1x1x1 window to justify the cost.

How can you say that?

I'd also point out a frequently made note: TLC has in the past made
molds which are only used in a single set. They even still do to some
extent today (though they are getting much better about searching for
new ways to use the new parts). The economics clearly leave room for new
molds for specialty uses (and any of the classic windows are
sufficiently generic parts as to be able to find uses for them).

What is clear is that right now, Lego Direct does not have the
authorization to have new molds made. This is a reasonable and prudent
business decision. LD needs to prove what it is doing with specialty
sets first. Once they prove themselves with the Legends line, there
might be room for resurrecting old molds (but that will probably still
only happen if the main stream work with LD to resurrect molds for parts
they could find uses for, and that may rule out the classic windows, but
I could also see the designers deciding to use them somewhere).

Frank