 General / 8851
  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

Just a couple of points. That 20K order we had assembled was for less than 20 different parts in total, although across several colors. I agree with most everything being said, but I feel that we need tu build bridges to those in TLG that have any (...) (25 years ago, 24-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

I agree. Anything that actually succeeds will have to be based on a sound business model. TLG needs to make money and see a positive creative outcome as a result. Perhaps we need a buying organization. A single point of contact with TLG, or a funnel (...) (25 years ago, 24-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes: [snipped] (...) Larry, the prices quoted don't mean anything. When they got the order, they said not one item was available. A price quoted for a product not available is not truly a price. I have had to (...) (25 years ago, 24-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

Mike, let me be clear in case I wasn't, I'm not disagreeing with you. A number of people at TLG DO have rose colored glasses on. I'd rather just see if a well reasoned business case NOW could avoid the hundreds of millions in losses that would wake (...) (25 years ago, 24-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) opinion. You may have hit on a good point here! I'm sure that this is a concern to Lego, especially if they have been reading the groups ehre and have sensed the general unhappiness with most of the current sets. This would be easy to fix with (...) (25 years ago, 24-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) What should they -care-? if someone makes money on a aftermaket use of pieces, then all the power to them. If TLG is loosing too much money to the person, just hire them! It's not like someone is making a copy of Lego, then selling it. (trust (...) (25 years ago, 24-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) costs (...) from (...) It erodes the market for their *SETS* which is where they make the most of their money. While they CAN make money selling bulk, I doubt that it will ever be the majority of their income. Following this idea, Lego would (...) (25 years ago, 24-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

Everyone should pay attention to the shelf-space penetration of Mega Blocks. All the K-Marts (and to a slightly lesser degree WalMart) seem to have large quantities of Mega Blocks product available for purchase. My take is that Mega Blocks are (...) (25 years ago, 24-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

I've been following this group for a while, and I'd like to add my 3.059 cents worth (the exchange rate at the moment's a pain). If it is true that AFOL's requesting bulk orders would only make up a small percentage of Lego sales, then I cannot see (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

Ray Sanders wrote in message <3813510A.B54BDB9D@gate.net>... (...) But that concern can be addressed. I don't think anyone here would complain if the price per part for bulk orders was structured so that TLG had a higher profit to expense ratio (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

Hmm... (...) Is there anyone who is facile with LDraw or some compatible program and existing model copying, and who is interested in making some coin(1)? I'd be interested in getting a copy of my hopper in LDraw. If you are interested, drop me a (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) If Mega Blocks gets their quality control and tolerances worked out to within 90% of TLG's level, AND if they offer the type of bulk ordering service we talk about, I bet a lot of people will jump on it. I know I would. (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) parts to (...) I do not think that the concern lies in people buying the parts to make/sell official lego sets below retail. I believe the concern is that people will design their OWN sets using the bulk parts, which would undoubtedly be (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

What is it about TLG??!! How _can_ they be so obtuse? Or, are _we_ missing something? Because *somebody* is WAY off here. _Why_ can't TLG understand this point: WE WANT YOU TO SUCCEED!!!! WE WANT YOU TO TAKE OUR MONEY!!! WE HAVE HUNDREDS OF (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) How much would people pay for David's AT-AT model as a kit? I'm thinking $150 minimum. Probably a lot higher. (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) It makes me toy with the idea of liquidating the whole shebang and moving on to something else. :/ I could get almost as much enjoyment out of a good virtual Lego building package for free, recover the use of an entire room, and spend the (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

the parts in either one of the AT ATs (and I saw both in the flesh, WOW IS ALL I CAN SAY (yes I had to shout) ) would be way more than 150, I would think. There must have been 3000 elements in either one. Just guessing. I'd pay 500 for one. (...) (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) Yeah, and I think a lot of rabid SW fans would outbid you. (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) I'd go $550 just to outbid you. :) Maybe we can talk him into an auction? (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) I just got my tax return back (albeit in AUD), so I'm ready for some bidding. I'd even pay DaveE just for the .DAT files!! Anyone with that amount of talent deserves to be rewarded! Pete Callaway (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) Depends on the part count an physical size. I've seen pictures of two AT-ATs (don't know which one is David's) from the NELUG display at MindFest ( (URL) ) but that doesn't always give you a good impression of the actual size of the models. I (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) Dave's original pictures might give a better idea of scale: <URL:(URL) It's huge! (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) I'd be interested. As for payment (obviously depending on how long the custom hopper takes to ldraw), can you say "blue hopper"? ;) More seriously, while reading today's messages, I started wondering about the viability of selling instructions (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) This has already been done in book-form, right? Didn't Richard do something like this for his school/class? I think a paper version could work, but I think a digital version would be easier to do. I know I'd be willing to pay for a few dozen (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) I wonder...perhaps one could make a good profit with such models sold through eBay (or even a "Star Wars Idea CD" or something like that)? We could end up with a cottage industry of modules for building themed models, sort of a merchandised (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) I don't know that that is a generally true statement. I'm sure a good number of people will continue to buy TLG products until such time as the quality of the bricks themselves goes to pot, but it's bound to be true that other people will slip (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) Does anyone think TLG would listen to some simple bucket or accessory pack requests? In other words, I am suggesting we actually compose a few bucket distributions, and a few accessory packs -- literally listing the part numbers and (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) I don't know if they'd like that. Standard corporate behavior is to be very wary of stuff that is offered for free. What if they start to sell a pack based on your part list, and then you sue them, claiming that they "stole your idea for a (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Name that movie, was: A change in attitude

(...) "The Shawshank Redemption" (25 years ago, 26-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Name that movie, was: A change in attitude

(...) "Let's see how you like a month in solitary!" (Or something like that.) Name that movie! (25 years ago, 26-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) keeps its brain." (...) It sounds like something Larry Niven would write. I'm thinking about the Puppeteers from the ringworld 'verse. another Chris (25 years ago, 30-Nov-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) Is that from Harry Potter? I know I've just recently read that but I'm not sure of the source. Chris (25 years ago, 30-Nov-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) Yes, I believe you are correct. I'm re-reading the Ringworld series right now. I started with 'Protector' since that seems the correct base point. Ahh yes, a Piersons Puppeteer. Ray (not a chris) (25 years ago, 30-Nov-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) I don't know about Niven, but I'm quoting from "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets". Mr. Weasley is giving advice to his daughter Ginny. Steve (25 years ago, 1-Dec-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) to (...) keeps its brain." I would buy a copy! Paul Sinasohn bearitone@my-deja.com (25 years ago, 2-Dec-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) I've been thinking a lot about this and I have to say that I don't think I'd contribute the black hopper into the PD... I plan instead to sell copies with instructions, but with carefully worded retention of rights by me prohibiting (...) (25 years ago, 2-Dec-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)

(...) I look forward to being able to buy a copy with instructions, myself. (25 years ago, 2-Dec-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)