 General / 8913
Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 17:51:04 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:
the parts in either one of the AT ATs (and I saw both in the flesh, WOW
IS ALL I CAN SAY (yes I had to shout) ) would be way more than 150, I
would think.

There must have been 3000 elements in either one. Just guessing.

I'd pay 500 for one.

I'd go $550 just to outbid you.  :)  Maybe we can talk him into an
auction?

I wonder...perhaps one could make a good profit with such models sold
through eBay (or even a "Star Wars Idea CD" or something like that)?  We
could end up with a cottage industry of modules for building themed models,
sort of a merchandised and (icky word) canonized version of the free-flowing
idea exchange we do here already.  Such releases wouldn't necessarily hurt
the free exchange of ideas, provided that we recognize instruction sets as
being copyrightable (are they?) and don't use .dat files without
permission.  (This is sort of what Larry was getting at with putting his
hopper into a kit, except marketing variant instructions rather than entire
kits.)

This is just something to throw around--maybe worth thinking about?

LFB.