 General / 8912
Re: Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 16:45:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Troy Cefaratti writes:

James Brown <galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote in message
I *think* what's being proposed is a consolidation of the various efforts
into a more professional setup.  Approach TLG with a list assembled of
parts people want, and that we have the money (or the backing) for, right
now.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong, Jodi) that the proposal is to attempt to
buy bulk boxes out of Enfield, using the existing S@H service as a medium,
so that Lego has a minimal cost setup to bring it on-line.

If that is the case, then yeah, I'm in like a dirty shirt.  I'll put in my
2 bits.  Heck, I'll even put in my 4 bits the first time, just to get this
off the ground.  I have no problem taking a (personal) loss if it gets the
idea across to TLG that bulk ordering is a viable practise.

I think that we would be better off to start by making a purchase of a large
quantity of an existing set, say one of the current buckets, and parting it
out for sale.  I think that if we could show that there is a call for a
service like this on a grand scale that this would be a good "proof of
concept" and then we might have a better chance of approaching TLG with our
request for ordering specific parts from them.

To an extent I agree with you, but I posit that this proof of concept has
already been done.  Julie Krenz, and several others routinely buy and part out
buckets via eBay, and Todd (and others) also do it in large-scale parts
auctions.  The scale of auctions like Auczilla and MA#, as well as on-going
sites like JABA, BAYLIT, The Brickyard and others indicates that the market is
out there, and is large enough to support *several* entrepreneurs.

The current red bucket (4288) might be a good place to start as it has a
good assortment of parts.  Or the blue tub (3033) if we want to try just
basic bricks.  Even with the overhead of sorting (which i've become
uncommonly good at!) I think that a tidy proffit could be made (which would
then be reinvested to buy MORE Lego!)

What I think most of the people here are looking for is access to parts that
we can't get through retail channels.  I'm postive that I'm not the only one
frustrated by having to pay third-party prices(1)for a limited-scope, limited
availability parts service.  To be blunt, I wouldn't put anything (money or
time) into a project to bulk buy and break up tubs/buckets, because all I'd be
doing is contributing to yet another third-party auction/sale house.

I am willing to put money in a service to order (directly or indirectly) parts
I can specify, in quantities I can specify.  Like I said, I'd be willing to
take a personal loss just to get something like that off the ground.  I,like
several others here, am positive that once such a service was started, it
would prove profitable and sustainable.

1:With all the retail cost, sorting/shipping/handling overhead costs and
profit margin that factor into my cost.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/