 General / 8908
Re: Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 16:11:39 GMT

James Brown <galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Not sure what you're proposing exactly but based on details I would be
willing to be lead partner in a VC to get something off the ground. We
could just dust off the consortium mailing list to see who else is in.

I *think* what's being proposed is a consolidation of the various efforts • into
a more professional setup.  Approach TLG with a list assembled of parts • people
want, and that we have the money (or the backing) for, right now.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong, Jodi) that the proposal is to attempt to • buy
bulk boxes out of Enfield, using the existing S@H service as a medium, so • that
Lego has a minimal cost setup to bring it on-line.

If that is the case, then yeah, I'm in like a dirty shirt.  I'll put in my • 2
bits.  Heck, I'll even put in my 4 bits the first time, just to get this • off
the ground.  I have no problem taking a (personal) loss if it gets the • idea
across to TLG that bulk ordering is a viable practise.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

I think that we would be better off to start by making a purchase of a large
quantity of an existing set, say one of the current buckets, and parting it
out for sale.  I think that if we could show that there is a call for a
service like this on a grand scale that this would be a good "proof of
concept" and then we might have a better chance of approaching TLG with our
request for ordering specific parts from them.

The current red bucket (4288) might be a good place to start as it has a
good assortment of parts.  Or the blue tub (3033) if we want to try just
basic bricks.  Even with the overhead of sorting (which i've become
uncommonly good at!) I think that a tidy proffit could be made (which would
then be reinvested to buy MORE Lego!)

Troy