 General / 8914
Re: Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 16:54:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, Troy Cefaratti writes:

James Brown <galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Not sure what you're proposing exactly but based on details I would be
willing to be lead partner in a VC to get something off the ground. We
could just dust off the consortium mailing list to see who else is in.

Larry, what is VC????

I *think* what's being proposed is a consolidation of the various efforts • into
a more professional setup.  Approach TLG with a list assembled of parts • people
want, and that we have the money (or the backing) for, right now.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong, Jodi) that the proposal is to attempt to • buy
bulk boxes out of Enfield, using the existing S@H service as a medium, so • that
Lego has a minimal cost setup to bring it on-line.

If that is the case, then yeah, I'm in like a dirty shirt.  I'll put in my • 2
bits.  Heck, I'll even put in my 4 bits the first time, just to get this • off
the ground.  I have no problem taking a (personal) loss if it gets the • idea
across to TLG that bulk ordering is a viable practise.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

James
Part of what I'm proposing is using Lego S@H and part is using LUGNET man power
and the sales base that we have in our local stores.  Just like Todd and
Suzanne do in buying 10 sets and auctioning them off, we will be running a
large base for bulk buying from the LUGNET community.  If we find that there
are some parts that people want that can be found in one particular set, we
buy them in bulk, sort them down and sell them to those who want them.  At a
price that is fair and give us back some money to reinvest in more sets or
parts to fill the demand.

I think that we would be better off to start by making a purchase of a large
quantity of an existing set, say one of the current buckets, and parting it
out for sale.  I think that if we could show that there is a call for a
service like this on a grand scale that this would be a good "proof of
concept" and then we might have a better chance of approaching TLG with our
request for ordering specific parts from them.

The current red bucket (4288) might be a good place to start as it has a
good assortment of parts.  Or the blue tub (3033) if we want to try just
basic bricks.  Even with the overhead of sorting (which i've become
uncommonly good at!) I think that a tidy proffit could be made (which would
then be reinvested to buy MORE Lego!)

Troy

I like all the ideas I see posted here and mind has been going at warp speed
all night.  OK lets take Troy's idea about the blue 3033 tubs.  If we can get
say 20-30 of those (while one of our local stores is having a special would be
a great idea) and I'd be willing to sit and sort with Troy or at my place and
sort them out.  (i've gotten quite good at sorting them out too!)  Just ask
John Neal about the box I sent him. :-)  Do we have buyers on Lugnet who are
willing to pay 1-5 cents a brick for the ones they want in the colors they
want.  And the red buckets, same thing, do we have enough buyer for the
service?

I'm also thinking of some of the sets we've been parting out.  I know that
there will be some of you who want the same pieces as other want.  But I don't
want to get into a bidding war over the parts.  If we run into a deal where
there are pieces that no one comes forward for after a good amout of time they
can be auctioned off on Ebay to the rest of the world.  Now the local Big Bear
plus by me has been running a sale at 30% off all their legos for 3 weeks now.
But they don't have alot.  They do have some basic sets in there, not buckets
but some old boxes.

We need to do some more research of our LUGNET group to see what the public
wants and needs.  So.......  Troy if you're willing I'm in it with you if you'd
like.

Jodi