 General / 8861
Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 23:32:02 GMT

Everyone should pay attention to the shelf-space penetration of Mega
Blocks. All the K-Marts (and to a slightly lesser degree WalMart) seem
to have large quantities of Mega Blocks product available for purchase.

My take is that Mega Blocks are competing more with Duplo than with
Lego System. But there are plenty of Mega Blocks sets available in the
'normal' block size range.

If Mega Blocks ever gets their quality control & tolerances worked out,
TLG may have a serious problem. The only real advantage TLG seems to
have is the diversity of sets. One might even go so far as to wonder if
the bulk tubs and buckets are a TLG attempt to fend off Mega Blocks in
the price competitive end of the market. Which makes me wonder if the
bulk products are a loss leader. Might this have something to do with
the disparity between the bulk price quoted (6 cents / brick) and the
retail availability of less than 2 cents / brick. Most sets with special
pieces seem to hover closer to 10 cents / piece on average.

Ray

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

A number of people at TLG DO have rose colored glasses on. I'd rather just see
if a well reasoned business case NOW could avoid the hundreds of millions in
losses that would wake up TLG.