 General / 8854
Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 19:37:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
[snipped]
The prices quoted to Mike
P were fair and just when viewed from a TLG cost recovery perspective,
although certainly not when viewed from a market penetration price point
perspective.

Larry, the prices quoted don't mean anything.  When they got the order, they
said not one item was available.  A price quoted for a product not available
is not truly a price.  I have had to deal with that for years when competitors
quote my customers incredibly low prices they cannot sell at just to erode my
profit structure.  I have seen other companies do it in other industries as
well.

If you won't ship, then you have no right to give a price, as a price assumes
you have the ability to sell.

And I am still a bit bitter over being offered "bulk ordering" and couldn't
even buy parts that are available in a shop at home catalog!  Every gray brick
I wanted was in the gray brick pack.  Yet they were unavailable.  What was
available?  One million red 1x1 bricks?

For those who think that we (as a group) should not say anything bad about
Lego, they can live in their dreamland where nice, polite people will be able
to order from Lego in bulk because everyone is friendly and people care more
about happy customers than money.  Just send me some of your Narnia only lego
sets.

Lego will probably only look into selling bulk when they have a severe reality
check on their financial structure.  GM didn't want to change the type of cars
they were selling until they lost a couple of billion dollars and saw Japanese
imports taking almost their entire future away.  It seems savage, but Lego
needs to lose a hundred million or so in the next few years.  Maybe then, they
will actually listen to what consumers really have to say.

Their web site feedback shows the rose colored glasses they are wearing.  "How
are we doing?  'The same,' 'better than before' or 'just awesome, give me
more?'"  They don't want REAL feedback from customers.  When people get into
that frame of mind, only a harsh reality brings them around to actually
listening again.  Unfortunately, the only reality check a company can get is
fiscal losses.

One day, Lego may actually listen to what people have to say.  At that point,
I may be a little more of a brown-noser.  But right now, they don't really
listen to what any of us have to say, even if they do read what we write.

Mike Poindexter