 General / 8853
Re: Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 19:28:47 GMT

Just some general comments:

I.  I know Larry P had something upwards of $10,000 -promised- payment for the
bricks that (might have been/should have been...) ordered.  If I was a company,
and someone said, I have $10,000 worth of orders, IN MY HAND for a product, I
think I would be looking quite hard to make that sale.  No matter how big/small
of a profit I made last year, that 10 000 is a fair amount of change.

(just think of it this way, it is one person working for 2-3 months, full time)

LEGO makes more money on S@H sales than it does selling via a retailer.  Think
of this, if TLG sells a set to Wallyworld, they get 1/2 of the retail price of
the set.  If they sell it at S@H, then they get 100%.  Now, they have costs
involved, but so does WallyWorld.  Its the same thing with the bulk bricks.  If
the demand is here (which it is), then someone will supply it.  If S@H
could/did supply more of the pieces we want, then the auctions wouldn't happen.
It simply would come down to it costing more than the part was worth for
shipping/handling/a little more lego.  I know that the price per brick that was
being kicked around by Larry P was anything up to a dollar a window.  I'd pay
that sort of price for train windows.  We're not talking about selling parts at
the 10 cents each kind of level, we are talking about the parts that go for
big bucks.  If people will pay @$15 for 2 lightposts, then what makes LEGO
think that there aren't more of us who would pay for them at say $5 for 2?

Even if TLG didn't want to go to all that much hassle of a continous supply,
then, if people are serious, and there is a realistic minimum order, why not do
a 'promo' set?  Make the LUGNET set, with a official company (Lugnet.inc)
handling the purchasing of the whole shooting match (say 10,000 sets even) with
2 train windows, and X,Y,Z bricks in it.  Then Lugnet.inc has to sell those
sets.  Not TLG.  TLG is out of it, the same as they are with a retail store.
If you had a tailored set, with pieces that people here wanted, then you would
sell them like hotcakes.  If it had space pieces in it that I didn't want,
well, then I have to find a space nut and trade pieces with him/her, and take
all the train windows.

I'd -love- to see TLG do something like this.  However, we seem to have been
turned down at every step.  Why?  Is our money not good enough?  are our
motives not pure enough?  Is the order not big enough?

James Powell
(I'd be in for a bit if a promo set could be worked out...)