 General / 9063
Re: Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 19:40:52 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Powell writes:
Just some general comments:

I.  I know Larry P had something upwards of $10,000 -promised- payment for the
bricks that (might have been/should have been...) ordered.  If I was a • company,
and someone said, I have $10,000 worth of orders, IN MY HAND for a product, I
think I would be looking quite hard to make that sale.  No matter how • big/small
of a profit I made last year, that 10 000 is a fair amount of change.
<snip>

Just a comment for all of you trying to appeal to TLG financial interests: In
a word - forget it, unless you weild the kind of money a retail chain or Bill
Gates does...

The TLG 1996 sales - more since then - was $65,000,000. (I read this in
Machine Design in Feb 1998).

So, I did some calculations:

Using the $10,000 price point (as stated above) yielded very un-promising
results.

So, I calculated using $100,000, which came to .1538%. Even $300,000 is still
under 1/2%.

It seems to me that they might get interested somewhere around the 1/2 million
mark. I just can't believe they could be swayed by a mere $10,000.

Let's do some more calculations. Suppose all the AFOLs (maybe 1,000 - maybe
even twice that many) spend between $3K and $5K per year. That means the total
sales to AFOLs reaches between $3,000,000 and $10,000,000 (retail) -
$1,800,000 to $6,000,000 (wholesale). That's still only 9.2% of the 65 mil.
That leaves 90.8% of their sales to retail chains who then sell to parents of
kids who buy their kids sets. This just doesn't seem enough incentive for TLG
to get involved with bulk sales (for financial reasons).

My thinking is this: TLG has come through to individuals and groups when they
perceive an artistic use of their product, so instead of berating them for
their lack of business sense (which I can't find any fault in, based on the
logic I see them using), try appealing to them through your desire to realize
some truly artistic endeavor. Don't just say "I need x number of y bricks."
Say instead "I'm working on this really neat thing-a-ma-bob, and I need your
help to put it together. This is what it is, how it'll look, and I figure I
need x number of y bricks to do it."

As usual, my points are verbose. My intent is to cause a different avenue of
thinking - hopefully, even an approach that'll work. Who knows? But I firmly
believe that whining about what TLG won't do will net you nothing.

Please let me know if you think I'm just full of hot air.

Wayne