 General / 8859
Re: A change in attitude: was Big Brother is Watching (and reading, too!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 20:57:34 GMT

In lugnet.general, Troy Cefaratti writes:
TLG *may* have a concern that selling bulk new bricks may open a
competitive channel. That is, people could buy bulk bricks, train
windows, etc. and assemble retail sets that would compete with TLG in
the market place. I believe that preventing this type of usage needs to
be a condition of any deal that can happen with TLG. Creating MOC etc.
are fine, combining parts to sell new sets would not fly. One mans
opinion.

You may have hit on a good point here!  I'm sure that this is a concern to
Lego, especially if they have been reading the groups ehre and have sensed
the general unhappiness with most of the current sets.

This would be easy to fix with a clause in the contract between Lego and
anyone wishing to purchase large ammounts of bulk bricks.  Something simple
like, "You may not sell any unofficial non-lego sets," should do the job.
I'm sure that any order large enough to build sets from would require a
contract of some kind.

What should they -care-?  if someone makes money on a aftermaket use of pieces,
then all the power to them.  If TLG is loosing too much money to the person,
just hire them!

It's not like someone is making a copy of Lego, then selling it. (trust me, the
idea has crossed my mind for some parts...).

If you can make a set from parts, then sell it for enough to cover your costs
(a la Larry P), then all the power to you.  It isn't going to take away from
lego's market if you use their bricks now is it?  There is no way that TLG
could enforce such a contract.  I doubt it would even be legally binding.  (ya,
you cannot make something with this stuff that is designed to make stuff with,
and then resell it...)  Once it has been sold, that is end of contract rights
for TLG.  (not like software, so on).  TLG has no right to say that you cannot
use it for its intended use, and no right to tell you not to sell a MOC.