 General / 49785
Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 03:47:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, Scott Lyttle wrote:

   5) “It’s not military--it’s history” Ok, so Lego doesn’t make “war toys”. well, look at any WWII ship or aircraft...where are most of them now? In a historical museum. So, would it be safe to say that anything older than 20 years is not military, but history? (I know someone is going to bring up the fact F-14 and F-15’s have been in service for years) Or..even something along the lines of civilian modifications... Take the Reno speed races in Nevada, for example-“Strega” is a P-51 that’s been modified for civilian use..no weapons on it, and it’s definitely “swooshable” (has/had a few speed records). Ok, so you make a P-51 that’s got no weapons...does that make it a “war toy”?

Scott

Something that I think many people don’t realize when they suggest that Lego make WWII toys is that Denmark was an occupied country during WWII, and that Germany is one of thier biggest markets. WWII feels like ancient history to many of us generation-x type Americans, but for the Europeans it is still very close. Now, Lego says that it doesn’t want to do war toys, and that is admirable. But really, they have pirates and wild west fighters, and so forth. I honestly think it will be a tough sell for them to make WWII era military toys, even after they decide enough time has passed to make them “historical.”

Anyway, just my opinion on that. I think it is always great to brainstorm possible set ideas for them, maybe they can be inspired by us! :)

Don’t know where exactly to FUT this one to, so I’ll leave it here for the moment.

-Alfred