 General / 49776
Re: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 19:35:47 GMT

IMO, LEGO is *currently* not being clobbered on price, but on desireability of
themes.  The MB Dragons stuff *looks* cool, even though it's lower quality and
less 'brickish'.  On the store shelves, when the sets are side-by-side, most of
the LEGO assortment looks lame next to the clone sets.

Ok, I got an idea...as AFOL's, we're passionate about LEGO.  So, what kind of
themes would be great to see?  Those with kids, poll your youngsters and ask
them what they like...

I'll start with a theme I'd love to see come back...

1) Space (!)  Maybe not so much a duplicate of Classic Space, but something along those lines (Adm. Giddens and Adm. Sandlin---ya think PCS and 3vil might be fun?  (Hell, you never know--maybe the leader of 3vil started as a cloned Ogel...)   Freighters, cargo haulers, exploration ships, fighters, rovers, moon buggies, expedition vehicles...ya know...I wonder why Megacrap hasn't done a space theme?  (sometimes I wonder if the Megabloks powers read Lugnet...)

2) More girl stuff--and I don't mean Belville or Clikits.  I can't tell you how
many times I've seen parents want to buy stuff for girls, but nothing is there.

2a) How about a kit of bricks that lets you make a horse sculpture out of
bricks?  Nothing real big..maybe about 6-8 inches  high and about 7-8 inches
long.  You could make it out of plates and bricks, and maybe price it around
15-20 bucks... there could even be 2 versions--one brown, one black, or even
make one with spots.  Put directions for both horses in one book, with a set
number below each.  That way, only one set of directions needed for either set
during packaging (economies of scale).

2b) How about a gymnastics team?  Male or female...and use the hand spinner
thing from the skateboard sets.

3) CIRCUS!  Just a random thought.  A good way to reuse the animal
molds...monkeys, elephants, dinosaur parts.... and even find some way to
incorporate a 9V Circus train.  Ok, maybe not the best idea, but still..an idea.

4) More sloped Duplo Bricks.  Kids love to make slides, and make cars and run
them down the slide.

5) "It's not military--it's history"  Ok, so Lego doesn't make "war toys".
well, look at any WWII ship or aircraft...where are most of them now?  In a
historical museum.  So, would it be safe to say that anything older than 20
years is not military, but history? (I know someone is going to bring up the
fact F-14 and F-15's have been in service for years)  Or..even something along
the lines of civilian modifications...  Take the Reno speed races in Nevada, for
example-"Strega" is a P-51 that's been modified for civilian use..no weapons on
it, and it's definitely "swooshable" (has/had a few speed records).  Ok, so you
make a P-51 that's got no weapons...does that make it a "war toy"?

6) I'd love to see Res-Q come back in something like it's orginal form.
Land/Sea/Air rescue--talk about playability!  Drive their vehicles over
everything..

7) Trains are popular (ok, I'm part of a LTC as well).  Why not more Train
structures (Like a set that makes a bridge, allowing you to take two tables and
join them together to make a really big train layout (which at the same time,
prompts kids to buy more Lego train track?)

I've got a list of stuff..I just don't have it handy.  In the meantime, I'd love
to hear if anybody's got some "great ideas" for LEGO sets/themes...

Scott