 Color / 732
Re: Who Lied? (was: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 06:34:50 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.color, Marc Nelson, Jr. wrote:
   Reading the LEGO Life article, I thought back to Jake McKee’s original explanation for the color change back in May. I noticed some discrepancies.

Contrast this passage from the article:

Reducing the number of used colours is part of the Sourcing for the Future project, which aims among other things to cut the Company’s raw material and plastics costs.

with this statement by Jake McKee:

This initiative led to a revised color palette. This new color palette included some deletions of low-use colors, additions of new colors, and some tweaks to the existing colors. The goal in all these changes was completely and totally focused on creating the absolute best set of LEGO colors possible.

There has been a great deal of assumptions posted about the reasons we made the changes. Everything from trying to copy MEGABloks, to trying to save money on recycling parts. I know it seems hard to believe (unless you really think about the long-term history and attitude of this company), but it really is as simple as trying to create a sustainable and consistent color palette for the future.

Jake went through a lot of trouble to get the “real” story on why the color change happened:

My goal here is to simple share the real story of how the color change to be. Sorry for taking so long to get this out to you. In an effort to be 100% accurate, I wanted to fact check like mad before posting. I know that some people won’t believe this is the “real” story, but if you have a stack of Bibles, I’m ready to swear on them.

So my question is: who lied to whom and why?

Wait-- how are these in contrast? Do you know that these came out of the same initiative? Do you know that something hasn’t changed in the meantime? It’s been over a year since the color change actually HAPPENED, and as far as I can tell, this change is only now in the final stages of planning.

But regardless, I still don’t see the difference. The colors were CHANGED for the exact reasons that Jake stated. The extra colors are being ELIMINATED for completely different reasons. It’s not like they’re changing colors again, and even if they were, these could be part of a totally different project.

Now, Jake did admittedly say some low-use colors were removed, do we even know which ones? From Jake’s comments it sounds like a low number of colors were removed. Not half their palette. Sounds to me like two completely different, yet somewhat similar projects.

   Did Jake cover up the real reason for the color change and give AFOLs a tale that focused on TLC’s desire for the best product rather than its need to cut costs? Or did Jake’s bosses decide it was a good idea to give their spokesman a bogus explanation instead of the real one?

I think we deserve an explanation.

I think we got one. And I can’t say I’m terribly happy about it or that I agreed with it, but it’s fair and I think it’s the truth.

As for this color elimination thing? I can’t say how ridiculously relieved I am. As much as I like a lot of the color variety, I absolutely HATE the fact that there’s not a lot of PIECE variety in the less-common colors. The new blueish purple in the Knight’s Kingdom? Awesome color. But I hate it. I wish they just went with regular blue.

So not only is this decision what I’d WANT from the company, it looks like it’s also best for them monetarily. I’ll only be disappointed if they remove colors I really like (and I think all my highly valued colors were on the new “permanant” list, so I’m fairly contented that they’ll still be around).

DaveE