 Color / 745
Re: Who Lied? (was: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:59:26 GMT

In lugnet.color, Marc Nelson, Jr. wrote:
   I don’t have any insider information about TLC (perhaps you do?),

No, but I work from the assumption that people are honest until proven otherwise. And I read the articles carefully.

   I can’t say with any certainty whether these groups are composed of different people or not. But both projects (assuming they are seperate projects) are doing the same thing: cutting colors, adding colors, and changing colors.

OK, here is the relevant text. You tell me if you think they are different teams.

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
   The Design Lab is an internal group at the LEGO Company who is responsible for overseeing the “system” aspects of everything the LEGO Company does. They’re the ones that maintain the element library, element history, “own” the element design process (working with others in the company), own and guide the growth of the element library (ensuring the element selection doesn’t get out of control like the late 90s), own the color palette, and many other tasks. Basically, they work to ensure that the system works long term, and is the most robust, consumer (kids and adults) friendly it can possibly be.

From the article:
   Reducing the number of used colours is part of the Sourcing for the Future project, which aims among other things to cut the Company’s raw materials and plastics costs.

Based on my knowledge of how strategic sourcing works, I would expect that one member of the Design Lab may be part of the Sourcing for the Future team, but that’s a wild guess. The Design Lab probably reports up through Mads Nipper and the sourcing team right up to Jesper Ovesen (also guesses, but based in part by reading the TLG “careers at TLG” page).

   Knowing the glacial slowness with which TLC makes changes, isn’t it more likely that we are looking at a single four-year initiative, rather than one four-year initiative which wrapped up in 2004 and another completely separate initiative which began in 2004 - both up which have the same results?

No, the two initiatives have separate teams, separate objectives.

   doesn’t strike you as odd that we were told TLC was changing colors to improve the product, but now we are reading an internal TLC publication that says they are changing colors to save money?

No, they look like separate initiatives.

   Don’t get me wrong - I think cost-cutting was the only good reason for the color change (and I said as much last November). I just would rather have had the real story back then, not some baloney about “muddy palettes”. And before anyone rushes to Jake’s defense, let me state my belief that Jake gets fed just as much bull as we do by the Billund braintrust.

What’s your evidence for this belief? Hint: being very upset about the color change is not evidence.