 Color / 743
Re: Who Lied? (was: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 04:56:41 GMT

In lugnet.color, Mark Jordan wrote:
   In lugnet.color, Marc Nelson, Jr. wrote:
   So my question is: who lied to whom and why?

Did Jake cover up the real reason for the color change and give AFOLs a tale that focused on TLC’s desire for the best product rather than its need to cut costs? Or did Jake’s bosses decide it was a good idea to give their spokesman a bogus explanation instead of the real one?

(Hefts large clue-stick)

The colour change was initiated in 2000 by the Design Group - as an exercise in improving how the colours play together.

The palette reduction seems to have been initiated in 2004 by the “Sourcing for the Future” group - as an exercise in saving costs.

That’s 3 to 4 years’ difference. Different group of people. Different motive.

Now please stop accusing people of lying.

I don’t have any insider information about TLC (perhaps you do?), so I can’t say with any certainty whether these groups are composed of different people or not. But both projects (assuming they are seperate projects) are doing the same thing: cutting colors, adding colors, and changing colors.

Knowing the glacial slowness with which TLC makes changes, isn’t it more likely that we are looking at a single four-year initiative, rather than one four-year initiative which wrapped up in 2004 and another completely separate initiative which began in 2004 - both up which have the same results? It doesn’t strike you as odd that we were told TLC was changing colors to improve the product, but now we are reading an internal TLC publication that says they are changing colors to save money?

Don’t get me wrong - I think cost-cutting was the only good reason for the color change (and I said as much last November). I just would rather have had the real story back then, not some baloney about “muddy palettes”. And before anyone rushes to Jake’s defense, let me state my belief that Jake gets fed just as much bull as we do by the Billund braintrust.

Marc Nelson Jr.