 Color / 747
Re: Who Lied? (was: Halving the colours in the palette - Lego Life Sept 2004)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:14:44 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.color, Marc Nelson, Jr. wrote:
   I don’t have any insider information about TLC (perhaps you do?), so I can’t say with any certainty whether these groups are composed of different people or not. But both projects (assuming they are seperate projects) are doing the same thing: cutting colors, adding colors, and changing colors.

Wait-- adding and changing colors? Where did you see that? That was part of the 2004 color change, sure, but where does it show up in this current initiative?

   Knowing the glacial slowness with which TLC makes changes, isn’t it more likely that we are looking at a single four-year initiative, rather than one four-year initiative which wrapped up in 2004 and another completely separate initiative which began in 2004 - both up which have the same results? It doesn’t strike you as odd that we were told TLC was changing colors to improve the product, but now we are reading an internal TLC publication that says they are changing colors to save money?

No. Back in 2000 TLC thought it was on the path to victory. In 2004 they’re trying to be on the path to survival. Remember all those campaigns to become the number 1 toy brand in households with children? At the time, Lego was exploding into other territories like ZNAP and Galidor and video games. The prospect of Harry Potter and Star Wars, and licensing in general was sparkling with promise. Mindstorms was still new. Disney had just signed a deal with Lego. Bionicle was about to become the new hottest thing.

What’s happened since? Lots of problems. Lots of cutbacks. ZNAP failed. Galidor flopped. Harry Potter 2 left vast quantities of unbought Lego in stores. Episode II did poorly. Licensing wasn’t working. WalMart (who doesn’t get along with TLC as well) took the lead well over Toys R Us in toys. Theme parks (I assume, given their current status) weren’t thriving as hoped. MegaBloks continued doing well. They acquired the Disney license. They beat Lego to the punch with their Nano and skateboardish lines.

The focus when the color change started was probably NOT to cut costs, but to make the product cool. But now, with Kjeld stepping down, theme parks being sold off, planning movement to China, removal of all outside licensing, shutdown of US production, lots of layoffs, and cutting half the palette, the aim is to save money. Not to become the world’s leader in toys.

   Don’t get me wrong - I think cost-cutting was the only good reason for the color change (and I said as much last November). I just would rather have had the real story back then, not some baloney about “muddy palettes”. And before anyone rushes to Jake’s defense, let me state my belief that Jake gets fed just as much bull as we do by the Billund braintrust.

I agree that cost-cutting would have been a good reason. So too would have been making the plastics more recyclable or less toxic. I would have a bit more faith in the company as a whole if that were the case. But I don’t think it is.

If anything, I’ll bet that the changed colors COST them money instead of SAVING them money. After all, they had to re-stock all new ABS pellets, had to (probably) run lots of test batches to get just the right color (more ABS and time used), and they weren’t going to use the remainder of their OLD colors, so any leftover ABS was left to go to waste.

The focus today is saving money. The focus then was getting a better product. I don’t think anyone lied. I just think they made some poor decisions. Let’s hope this one helps them get on the right path.

DaveE