 General / 49784
49783  |  49785
Subject:
Clear Bricks in 2x8 and 2x10
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:26:36 GMT

Clear bricks were available in many sizes, but in 2 sizes, 2x8 and 2x10 they
seem to ONLY have been sold in the USA, and that was during the 1960's.

This was recently confirmed by a Bricklink purchase I made from Europe of 4 2x10
and 2 2x8 bricks.  When they arrived, they were not LEGO.  They looked identical
to the regular Lego bricks with tubes underneath, but did not have the Lego logo
on the studs, and there were no mold numbers or "pat. pend" underneath.  I
compared them to some BAYER test strikes I have (made in Germany in the 60's),
and they were not those as well.  And these bricks didn't work too well with
regular Lego bricks either.  It required too much pressure to snap together with
real Lego bricks.

I was not mad about the bricks not being real since I only paid $3 for the
bunch.  They are great examples of Lego knock-offs.  It was amazing how real
they looked.

Early Lego (tubeless and postless) from 1949-56 did not have the logo on the
bricks, but since 1957 they all did.  So, words of warning.... if the brick has
tubes or posts underneath, it better have the Lego logo on the studs.  Otherwise
they are not Lego.

Gary Istok