 General / 47634
Re: Announcing new Legend!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 06:11:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, Marc Nelson, Jr. wrote:
In lugnet.general, William R. Ward wrote:
In lugnet.general, Gregory Muri wrote:
And I get equally tired of responses like this one so I suppose we are all
just tired.

AFOL means "Adult Fan of LEGO."  Clearly you are no longer a fan of LEGO.

I think you can be a fan of the system without being a fan of the company. And I
think you can be a fan of the company without being a fan of every decision that
it takes. So I don't agree that Greg is no longer an AFOL.

So please go away so that the rest of us can have our LUGNET back.

I don't want Greg to go away. I want him to stop ranting about the color change
in every thread that is at all remotely related (and some that aren't) to the
point that it derails legitimate discussion. When Jake asks for feedback on a
specific topic (such as what old color parts would you like to see) and gets
(essentially) "you suck and the color decision was stupid" back, how does that
help? I'm not seeing the helpfulness of that.

For the record, in my view Greg is not easy to satisfy (you could read some
threads on BrickLink that amply demonstrate that point). It's sometimes a good
thing to have a hard to satisfy customer, it keeps you on your toes. And
sometimes a good thing to decide not to serve everyone that shows up at your
door claiming to be a customer, because life's too short.

So if you mean you want Greg to post in an appropriate manner, or not post at
all, I agree. if you want him to go away even if he's willing to stay on topic
and contribute constructively, I don't.

--Bill.

Had you read <http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=47524 this post> by Greg, you
might have noticed this:

{As far as leaving, keep dreaming.  Just because I am no longer a Lego
customer, on a retail level, doesn't mean I am giving up on my enjoyment of
what I have or the hobby in general.  I will enjoy my collection for many
years to come.  I will also continue to take each and every opportunity I
can to tell Lego what I think.}

As he should. In the proper manner and via the proper channels. Derailing
threads is not, in my view, the way to do it.

I am in the same boat as Greg. I will not be buying any sets with the colors
in them. Neither will I be as vocal in evangelizing LEGO to non-AFOLs and
kids. But I will continue to build, and buy on Bricklink, and post on LUGNET.

And I resent your efforts to silence opinions that you don't agree with.

Channeling discussion to the proper place (in a highly compartmentalised system
like LUGNET, which the vast majority of readers seem to prefer) isn't silencing.
Pointing out that someone is repeating themselves and not adding anything new
isn't silencing. Suggesting that posting STUPID!! 100 times in a row isn't
advancing the discussion any isn't silencing.

No one is silencing any opinions. I in turn resent the suggestion that anyone
is.

FUT [not] set to .color.

OK, fine, but how's this on topic for .general? It's not.

(from the header)

CHARTER/PURPOSE:

   lugnet.general (group):
      General community discussion of LEGO® sets, themes, promotions,
      characters, business units, parks, histories, future plans,
      catalogs, item pricing and availability, etc.; also, community-wide
      discussion of experiences and ideas (set collection, educational
      usage, observations, original stories, games, holiday fun, rumors,
      musings, weird dreams, etc.).

  - end -

This entire discussion is not, in my view, on topic for .general. Further, even
if it's general dissatisfaction with LEGO (the company) that is the topic of the
discussion rather than color, it's STILL not, in my view, on topic for .general,
it's on topic for the .lego hierarchy.

You may not agree. If you don't, and you want to argue the point, then you
should STILL not post in .general, in my view, but rather somewhere in the
.admin hierarchy.

But before you argue the point, Todd, who is still running things here, has
posted about his desires where things go, and you should, in my view, take that
on board. If you still want to argue the point after Todd has directly expressed
his wishes in the matter, then go ahead, but take it to the right place in the
.admin hierarchy.

FUT set to lugnet.lego in hopes that you'll decide to keep .general better
focused on its charter. Please.

++Lar