 General / 47511
Re: Announcing new legend!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2004 21:14:07 GMT

WOW, first off Dave, let me say it is nice to see somone able to have
rational thoughts about the color issue.  It seems as though too many folks
are not interested in discussing things just stating "it sucks" or "get over
it".  Now I will certainly admit that I am a hot head and sometimes my
fingers get the best of me when I am typing posts.  However, I don't think
that enough can be said about this situation whichever side of it you are
on.

Together, yes, I can tell. Takes a second, but I can tell. It's not overly • hard.
Put them together on a MOC? if they're on a flat surface, side by side, • then,
yes, you can see that something's slightly off. Put them together on the • same
MOC a ways apart, or on non-parallel surfaces? I probably couldn't tell • easily.
It certainly wouldn't jump out at me. Put them on two completely different
creations? Same deal.

Good point here, but the fact that I don't like the way they look is the
problem for me.  I guess to some degree I am a purist when it comes to the
colors and am not willing to be flexible.  I will say that, had Lego chosen
some new colors that worked with the existing colors, I would be more
willing to accept them.  The funny thing is , in certain light, the new grey
really is a great looking color.  But this just isn't enough for me as I
have a huge stock of the old parts.  Knowing how difficult it was to
accumulate that stock I am not willing to try to do that again.  I was
finally getting happy with some of the quantities of light and dark grey I
had and now I will basically be limited by those current stocks of parts
because Lego decided to change them.  Not to mention the parts I always
hoped would be made in the old colors.  Now those hopes are dashed as not
only will those parts not be made in the old colors, but they may very well
get made in the new colors which are not useful with the old at all.

But you said: "I shudder to think how bad a classic space Blegend will • look
with all those bley parts." Personally, I don't think it would make the • model
*look* much different at all. Maybe if you mixed the greys together on the
model, but they're not doing that.

This is just simply that I don't like the look of the new grey over the old
so I think the overall effect on a classic space set will be pretty lame.

Really? Wow, I don't see that at all, except sorta with the new dark grey. • The
new dark grey is more blueish, which (IMHO) is more suited to a metallic • look.
Looks ok on spaceships and trucks and whatnot, but less so when used as • stone.
The new light grey and brown? I don't really see a problem. Actually, I • think I
like the new light grey better. If I could wave a magic wand and turn all • my old
grey into the new grey, OR all my new grey into old grey? I think I'd opt • for
the new grey. Dark grey I dunno. Brown either. But regardless, I don't • think the
new colors clash badly with any of the old colors.

I agree this is much worse with the dark grey than the light.  However, the
brown and the light still do this also.  Check out some new light grey with
current white, brings out the yellow just like it does with old light grey.
Or look at old brown and green with the new brown.  They really look BAD to
me.

Now, see, that I can understand, sorta. However, I'd assume that since • there's
nearly 300 non-new-colored pieces in the new Legend set (some wonderfully
useful, too), that you might still see the appeal of the set. I mean, • hell, I'm
a parts-monger myself. But I've bought some Jack Stone, Scala, and • Belville just
for a few parts, along with a bunch that I'll never use. I mean, I doubt • I'll
ever use a trans-pink-glitter tower. But the other cool stuff that I • *will* use
in the set made it worth it to me. I'd expect that if you wanted some of • the
great curved blue parts, or chrome pipes, or macaroni bricks, you'd still
consider buying this new set. Unless you're maintaining that every part in • every
set you buy must be useful to you.

This is what BL is for.  Happily I will be able to limit my purchases to
just the parts I want or need.  Not to mention that a certain amount of
money goes a lot farther on a project when you only have to purchase the
parts you need.  Buying sets is definitely not the way to go when a
particular project is your objective.  This is something Lego does VERY
well.  It amazes me sometimes how difficult it can be to get certain parts.

See, I think here's your real beef. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's a
"principle of the thing" thing for you. You're not not-buying-sets because
they're useless and look awful with new colors and whatnot. You're
not-buying-sets because you want to express your anger at the color • change. And
that's fine, you're perfectly well entitled. But I don't think the new • Legend
sets look awful as sets, and I don't think the novelty of a "Legend" is • any less
diminished. Only its appeal to people like you, who aren't after the • novelty or
the look of a set, just a good source of pieces to bolster your • collection. And
if you really didn't care about the principle, just the pieces, you might • still
buy one of these sets with the new colors, because the pieces that DO • match your
collection would still be useful to you, and might outweigh the negative • side of
the 'useless' new colors.

You are right here, to a certain degree it is the "principle of the thing"
for me.  But it is also because I don't like the look of these colors.  More
principle though!  Again, BL will help me to bolster my collection as
needed.

I wish I could get over this so easily.  Perhaps it is due to the short time
since I emerged from my Dark Age.  Perhaps it is an overall perception I get
from Lego as a company.  For a short time I worked at the Lego Outlet local
to me.  It was very quickly clear to me that there were some serious
problems with Lego as a company.  This color change is a perfect example of
that to me.  I only hope that I can get over it one day, but I am afraid
that will still be a while.

Greg