 General / 47474
Re: Announcing new legend!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2004 16:59:43 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gregory Muri wrote:
There is no such thing as a Legend, can't be a Legend if the colors are not
the same as the original.  Making minor changes, due to part availability,
is one thing but changing the color of the parts is something completely
different.

Wow, I'm totally amazed. I feel completely the opposite. If a piece isn't
available, like the spruce tree in Main Street, that slightly decreases the
value of the "Legend" quality. Not so much to deter me from being happy with it
or buying the set, but it does make it less cool. But the change to light grey?
It's really not that much of a change at all. The new *dark* grey? Yeah, that'd
be a bigger change, and I'd be less happy with that, but still, I don't think
the model would look worse for it.

I shudder to think how bad a classic space Blegend will look
with all those bley parts.

This just blows me away. I seriously can't tell the new light grey from the old
light grey without scrutinizing closely for a moment. I can't possibly imagine
that it would in any way lessen the look of a Classic Space set.

From a collector's standpoint, I guess I understand. You want something
*exactly* as it was? Sure, I understand that. But if you're after the
collectability anyway, why not go for an original set? I mean, you're saying
you'd be OK with a Legend that changed the *PIECES* but *NOT* with one that had
a barely noticeable color change? I just can't get over that assertion,
especially considering the minorness of the change in light grey. I mean,
imagine what's worse-- A new-grey Galaxy Explorer, or an old-grey Galaxy
Explorer with new motorcycle helmets, hollow-stud minifig heads and 2x2x2 cones,
flattened 1x2 plates w/ handlebars, 4x4x2 cones with axle holes, and new wheels?

And if you're after the model, because you think it's a cool one, then I
seriously have to ask you, do you really honestly care? As Larry pointed out,
the model would still look good, even if they changed the color *completely*. I
mean, what if they changed it to black or yellow or something? The model *still*
looks good.

The only reason NOT to buy this set is if you're a parts-monger. If you're after
more light grey/dark grey/brown to match your existing collection, because you
want to integrate the pieces into it, well fine, I understand. But then you
don't have much more right to complain about this model than any other model
Lego produces with the new colors.

This stinks, finally Model Team makes a return and these amazing sets will
be destroyed by bad colors.  I have to admit it is very interesting to me
that the 5541 is one of the sets I have wanted most and I won't think twice
about passing on this one.

I'm in total shock. Will you be buying anything from Lego that has any of the
new colors in it, ever? If you say no, I guess I can't argue. Obviously if
that's the case, a color change means enough to you to boycott Lego permanently.
But if you say yes, then I have to ask: why? Why buy some other new set with the
new colors, but not this one?

Bley is BAD, gray is good!  Change it back!

I agree I'd like to see them change it back-- mostly because I seriously don't
understand the reasoning behind making the change in the first place (since it,
even at Jake's admission, seriously will be unnoticeable to their primary target
audience, and will only affect AFOL sales negatively). I still have those
sneaking suspicions that it's somehow cheaper to manufacture or something. But
it makes me sad to think that some people are so blindingly enraged that they'd
stop buying new sets altogether.

DaveE