 General / 47506
Re: Announcing new legend!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2004 20:28:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gregory Muri wrote:
Take another look
at the new and old parts together, they are VERY different.

Together, yes, I can tell. Takes a second, but I can tell. It's not overly hard.
Put them together on a MOC? if they're on a flat surface, side by side, then,
yes, you can see that something's slightly off. Put them together on the same
MOC a ways apart, or on non-parallel surfaces? I probably couldn't tell easily.
It certainly wouldn't jump out at me. Put them on two completely different
creations? Same deal.

But you said: "I shudder to think how bad a classic space Blegend will look
with all those bley parts." Personally, I don't think it would make the model
*look* much different at all. Maybe if you mixed the greys together on the
model, but they're not doing that.

I am most certainly not a collector.  I build with the parts I buy.  Problem
is that the new colors make things built with a combination of new and old
colors look very bad.  I am really suprised that you would think otherwise.

I don't disagree with that at all-- mix the old and new colors together, and you
get something that looks off. Looks ok in a rock formation or in the stone wall
of a castle, but not when you're supposed to have a uniform color.

The model itself still looks cool, but the coordination of the colors does
not.  the new grey makes the existing colors look bad in my opinion.  I
thought maybe it would be limited to just the old grey and brown, but it
most certainly is not.

Really? Wow, I don't see that at all, except sorta with the new dark grey. The
new dark grey is more blueish, which (IMHO) is more suited to a metallic look.
Looks ok on spaceships and trucks and whatnot, but less so when used as stone.
The new light grey and brown? I don't really see a problem. Actually, I think I
like the new light grey better. If I could wave a magic wand and turn all my old
grey into the new grey, OR all my new grey into old grey? I think I'd opt for
the new grey. Dark grey I dunno. Brown either. But regardless, I don't think the
new colors clash badly with any of the old colors.

I am definitely a "parts-monger".  Better than 90% of the sets I buy are for
the parts.  Since coming out of my Dark Age, two and a half years ago, I
have bought over 1500 new sets.   Out of those I haven't built more than 50
by the instuctions.

I primarily build with the grey colors as most things I build are space or
castle related.  I do not have a use for the new colors as they look bad
with my existing parts.  Thus a set that contains them is not useful unless
it is free.  Last time I checked Lego is most certainly NOT free.

Now, see, that I can understand, sorta. However, I'd assume that since there's
nearly 300 non-new-colored pieces in the new Legend set (some wonderfully
useful, too), that you might still see the appeal of the set. I mean, hell, I'm
a parts-monger myself. But I've bought some Jack Stone, Scala, and Belville just
for a few parts, along with a bunch that I'll never use. I mean, I doubt I'll
ever use a trans-pink-glitter tower. But the other cool stuff that I *will* use
in the set made it worth it to me. I'd expect that if you wanted some of the
great curved blue parts, or chrome pipes, or macaroni bricks, you'd still
consider buying this new set. Unless you're maintaining that every part in every
set you buy must be useful to you.

No I will not be buying any set that contains the new colors.  I don't like
them and I don't have any use for them.  Not to mention I have no intention
of supporting a company that could choose to make changes such as this just
to save a few bucks.  And before you ask, YES, I think this change was
driven by money and nothing more.  This is not something anyone will ever
know for sure, but a company in dire financial straights only makes changes
to save money and improve the bottom line.  I would bet it is cheaper to
make these new colors and thus is saves money.

See, I think here's your real beef. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's a
"principle of the thing" thing for you. You're not not-buying-sets because
they're useless and look awful with new colors and whatnot. You're
not-buying-sets because you want to express your anger at the color change. And
that's fine, you're perfectly well entitled. But I don't think the new Legend
sets look awful as sets, and I don't think the novelty of a "Legend" is any less
diminished. Only its appeal to people like you, who aren't after the novelty or
the look of a set, just a good source of pieces to bolster your collection. And
if you really didn't care about the principle, just the pieces, you might still
buy one of these sets with the new colors, because the pieces that DO match your
collection would still be useful to you, and might outweigh the negative side of
the 'useless' new colors.

And as far as the principle is concerned, yeah, I'm annoyed too. I too guess
that this was a money-driven decision, and I'd actually be *happier* if they
admitted this, rather than the current story, which is that they just thought
the colors would look nicer. But regardless, I'm over it. I'm not going to let
my principles ruin my enjoyment of Lego, when sticking to my principles only
hurts things instead of helping. I mean, if Lego were considering going back?
Maybe I'd be more inclined to side with you. But they're not, whatever their
reasons. And I'll only get less enjoyment out of my hobby if I stay bitter
forever.

DaveE