 General / 47505
47504  |  47506
Subject:
Parts Colour Availability Equality
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2004 20:23:48 GMT

Whilst other threads focus on old and new colours (please keep those out of this
one), there is a general issue of parts availability that I think should be
addressed in the marketing strategy of the Lego company.

Many of us like to buy parts in bulk, but only certain colours are available.

In the LS@H catalogue there are packs of 1xn and 2xn plates in White, Black,
Red, Green and Grey.  I think these packs are the 'best thing since sliced
bread' as far as procurement of plates is concerned, since I can choose what
width to buy and get the full range of plates in that width.

However, Blue and Yellow plates are only available in a mixed pack, and I don't
use the larger sizes in quantity, so I haven't bought these packs.  I can see
that the price per piece is a lot more because of the larger plates, so buying
those packs for the small plates is uneconomic.

Please produce the 1xn and 2xn packs of plates in Blue and Yellow, and also in
the other minor colours:  Orange, Lime Green, Duck-Egg Blue, Purple (one shade
only!), Greys and Brown old and new and Tan.

Please produce similar packs of 1xn and 2xn bricks in all colours - I want to
buy different amounts of 1xn and 2xn bricks and not have to buy both together.

Further to this, packs of 4xn + 6xn plates, all sizes of each width included,
would be useful in all colours.

Generally, please make more of the existing colours available in bulk, at least
in basic piece varieties, so that we can build something decent with those
colours.  Sand Green has been usefully available in Yodas and Statues of
Liberty, and I've bought lots of each.  Real bulk packs of parts are required,
and the SoL is a great example, having over 2500 parts in Sand Green.  All that
is required now is to find a suitable thing to model in each colour, so that a
bulk set (>1000 parts) of each colour can be released.

In basic packs, like set 4410, please make all colours have the same number of
parts of each type, with equal priority given to each colour.  Including *some*
parts of the newer colours is a start, but I have lots of the original colours
now and want more of the newer ones.  As a universal colour, green should be as
plentiful as red, yellow or blue.

Two extra issues are related, which may develop into separate threads:

1. I'm ready for a 5000+ piece set.  I would hope for a price of 5c or 3p/piece.
Instructions should be in 2 or 3 booklets as the Imperial Star Destroyer ones
were unwieldy.  I understand that larger sets might mean lower sales per set,
but AFOLs often buy in bulk anyway, and we need a challenge!

2. A new trees and flowers set is required, as 6318 and 6319 are only available
on Bricklink in small numbers.  Please make this new set double the size for
economy and include 6x5 leaves and instructions for making a bigger tree with
several sets.

Mark Bellis