 General / 47635
47634  |  47636
Subject:
LEGO, kids, and how it has come to this
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 06:32:28 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Although the neighborhood knows there are a lot of LEGO bricks at our home and that big things go in and out from time time, we don’t get a lot of walk-up traffic from curious kids.

Today, however, a 9 year old and 10 year old came by with an unassembled 3585 Snowboard Super Pipe. Seems it was too tough for them to assemble and their dad suggested they try the house a few blocks over with all the LEGO. After they finished oohing and ahhing at the models and trophies (and general mess --we have parked tables from last weekend’s Fullerton show taking up space everywhere), they asked us to assemble the model for them.

No way! We offered to help, but they weren’t going to learn anything if we assembled it for them. And they weren’t going to have any fun if we did it.

We (David and I) quickly realized that we needed to do exactly what Susan and I did with David and Thomas when they were small: Get a little organized (spread the parts out, group them for easy finding) and then go through the instructions step by step. Apparently, this was a totally novel idea for these kids. It seemed like their approach to assembly was to grab parts and stick them together hoping to make it look like the box picture. If the model had more than 20 pieces, they were doomed. Clearly -- sadly -- no one had ever sat down with them to assemble a set step by step.

We got going, having the boys take turns being the part finder or assembler each time we moved to a new page. They had no idea that parts had names. We didn’t want to inundate them, but when they left they knew the difference between a plate and a brick and why something was a 2 x 4 and not a 1 x 2. It was a novel concept that you could identify parts by counting studs or locate the proper place to attach to parts by counting studs.

When they left, with the model fully assembled, I’m sure it was with some new ideas. It also made it clear to me that how terribly important it is for parents to spend a little time with kids to get them started with things. I more clearly understand why LEGO has such an uphill battle in the US and resorts to dumbing things way, way down.

-Ted