 General / 47660
Re: LEGO, kids, and how it has come to this
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 21:50:35 GMT

Ted Michon wrote:

We've always been happy with the LEGO directions and admire that they work
across all languages, but there is a certain amount of assumed knowledge
that the directions don't spell out. The directions don't explicitly tell
you to find a part based on it its type, color, and stud dimensions.
That's something most of us learn by experience or that we brilliant
LUGNET types were born knowing. The directions make it difficult to tell
lt gr from dk gr from bk.

This is something that isn't just their fault... I've been a long time LEGO
collector, having built for over 20 years, starting at 2.5 years old. But
since around 1998 I've had hard times with some instructions, since colors
are no longer clear. Just today I was building the Starwars mini of the
republic gunship and it took me some looking through the available parts to
see when they meant black or dark grey. Those two colors have gotten very
hard to keep apart in recent instructions.

(Some
directions show all the parts that will be used in a given step, which
helps. This set was not documented that way. I think some way to highlight
the parts that get added in a step would be a plus for LEGO to consider
adding.) These are examples of things that could have been explained if
the directions were in English or Danish or Swahili.

I prefer adding a column with required parts over highlighting personally.
I've been playing with LPub with does/can do both and highlighting makes
the rest of the model look very dull and the instructions in general
"washed out" Besides, with the required parts list, kids automatically
would be encouraged to first sort out parts for a certain step and only
then put them together.

I built the Yoda statue recently and started without using the required
parts lists and soon discovered I made a nasty error... after using the
required list building became a lot easier since instructions made more
sense.
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/
Brick Piles          | Santa Fe B-unit