 General / 47641
Re: LEGO, kids, and how it has come to this
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 12:08:49 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ted Michon wrote:

   ...a 9 year old and 10 year old came by with an unassembled 3585 Snowboard Super Pipe. Seems it was too tough for them to assemble

!!! Perhaps this also represents just the range of kids - my son (5, at the time) put 90% of the Mars Exploration Rover together with just the Lego instructions (the last 10% was becasue, after something like 5 hours and it being past his bedtime, he had to go to sleep). That a 9 & 10 year old hadn’t hit on the idea of *following the directions* is just, well, stunning. ‘Course, consider that the parents sent the kids down the street instead of helping themselves (OK, I know I’m the other extreme, but I have to ask my 6-year-old permission to execute a step on one of his models).

   I more clearly understand why LEGO has such an uphill battle in the US and resorts to dumbing things way, way down.

You may have a point, but I’ve always found the Lego instructions to in some regards be the most amazing portions of the models - that you can come up with a clear, language-independent way of directing the assembling of several hundred individual pieces, *and* have it instantly understandable by a 5 year old, just floors me. But I do sometimes wonder if some of my college students could do it (frankly, I suspect some of them couldn’t).

-- Brian Davis