 General / 47661
Re: LEGO, kids, and how it has come to this
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 23:12:52 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ted Michon wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Brian Davis wrote:
   .. I’ve always found the Lego instructions to in some regards be the most amazing portions of the models - that you can come up with a clear, language-independent way of directing the assembling of several hundred individual pieces, *and* have it instantly understandable by a 5 year old, just floors me. But I do sometimes wonder if some of my college students could do it (frankly, I suspect some of them couldn’t).

We’ve always been happy with the LEGO directions and admire that they work across all languages, but there is a certain amount of assumed knowledge that the directions don’t spell out. The directions don’t explicitly tell you to find a part based on it its type, color, and stud dimensions. That’s something most of us learn by experience or that we brilliant LUGNET types were born knowing. The directions make it difficult to tell lt gr from dk gr from bk. My visitors stumbled when they had to insert a 2 x 2 under a larger brick -- it was not obvious that the studs (usually) don’t go in the holes, but rather between them. The biggest stumbling block is that the directions don’t tell say to carefully compare the current step with the previous step to find what is different. (Some directions show all the parts that will be used in a given step, which helps. This set was not documented that way. I think some way to highlight the parts that get added in a step would be a plus for LEGO to consider adding.) These are examples of things that could have been explained if the directions were in English or Danish or Swahili.

I personally doubt my experience would have been as good had I not had the “trial and error” phases early. I think this engenders persistance, which is IMO a Good Thing. Sure, they may get frustrated today, but more than likely they’ll go back to it tomorrow and try again. A little help is good, too, but I think that is better handled by family/friends than instructions - it then becomes a lesson in teamwork too.

With regard to instruction colours, I think this is a direct result of the the abundance of new colours. While most people here would, I think, welcome many of the new colours in the last few years, it does present a problem for LEGO when producing instructions. I too still have problems distinguishing some colours like black/dk grey, and it can be frustrating searching the parts to find which colour the part is in. I can’t think of an easy way around this problem, besides reducing the colour palette, which I think would be a backwards step.

ROSCO