 General / 30815
Re: Mladen Pejic... Cool down.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 01:34:21 GMT

Christopher Snead wrote:

In lugnet.general, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.general, Christopher Snead writes:
So please, respect Mladen's (or anyone else's) wishes.  Ask beforehand if you
plan on posting an MOC with your name on it that obviously uses his ideas.
Otherwise, he may be forced to become a lot more protective of his creations;
and I'm sure nobody wants that!

I'm not sure I picked the most relevant part of your post, but whatever...

But, I strongly disagree with this view of yours.  As others have already
pointed out, there are only so many ways the bricks go together -- AND it's
a toy for crying out loud! Perhaps someone hasn't even seen someone else's
creations and still comes up with the same solution as that person.

I disagree with this.  I've seen the scorpion leg design, and it is almost
identical to Mladen's.  I don't think the design was outright stolen; in fact,
it is very likely that Rick came across Mladen's design at some point, and it
worked its way into his subconscious, only to manifest itself later in his
MOC's.  There are other cases involving Mladen's mechs which were much more
clear cut.  And statistically, the number of ways in which to combine even a
few Lego elements is extremely large.  The point is, had Mladen never posted
images of his mechs, Rick's mech would have almost certainly looked
differently.

So are you saying then that each of us must do a search of all the
creations we've looked at to make sure we properly credit any ideas we
might have subconsciously used? If we expect that level of search for
prior art, we won't be seeing very many MOCs here.

Like I said, it is a personal preference which people should respect.  I, for
one, hope that others find inspiration from my work, so that I can give back to
such a wonderful resource as Lugnet.

If I was in the position of having subconsciously used someone's ideas,
and they asked NICELY I would certainly consider giving them credit, but
don't expect me to every time have given credit first. Now if you look
at the creations of mine which have had immediate basis in prior art,
you will find credit given (oops, ok, I haven't given credit yet on my
web page for the ships based on the little ship in 6277, I need to fix
that). Three are based on LEGO sets (cutters, my Red Seas Barracuda, and
my Blacktron creations), the third being my water tower (using Erik
Brok's idea of curved walls [though I'm absolutely sure he necessarily
invented the technique, it was definitely his page from which I got the
idea]).

It's not like we are talking about a wholly original invention or a work of
art that is intrinsically the work of Mladen and Mladen alone. Let Mladen
write a novel, paint a picture, sculpt in clay, or write some code and we
will grant him the rights to such a work.  I think playing with Lego has to
be seen as belonging to another category...

An artist who chooses to make a sculpture ou of cans of Coca-Cola or something
like that has the right to be protective of his or her work.  It's not
neccessarily the medium of creativity as much as it is the vision of the work.
Mladen wouldn't be the first person to use Lego to express artistic creativity.

I do have to agree with that to some extent, but the most relevant
protection would be copyright protection, which would not apply to the
individual ideas of connectivity (those would be protected by patents,
which by the work being published without a "patent pending" notice
basically eliminates the possibility of patenting them). A close copy
would be a copy right issue (my Red Seas Barracuda and my 6277 based
cutters would apply, my mildly modified Blacktron Invader would, my new
styled Blacktron containers probably wouldn't, except to the extent that
they use a possibly copyrightable logo). Another protection which could
apply in some cases would be trademark.

Frank