 General / 30808
Re: Mladen Pejic... Cool down.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 00:25:00 GMT

<snip>

Okay, I'm going to say this, as I've been feeling it for a while.  I am a
relative newcomer to Lugnet, but I've seen this issue come up a number of times
in the past, particularly involving Mladen.

Lugnet's existence is a great service to us; we have the opportunity to share
and view one another's creations.  Each individual feels differently about
their MOC's.  Some openly share them, with hopes that others will be inspired
and use their ides and techniques.  Others have very personal feelings about
their MOC's.

I feel that Mladen has every right to ask for credit for his models.  He is an
incredibly gifted individual when it comes to Lego mecha, and we are very
privileged to have him share his work with us; all he asks in return is that if
we wish to use his ideas we ask his permission and give him credit.

It is common for me to look at another individual's work; I may even try to
build my own version of an MOC to learn some of the techniques.  But those
models I wouldn't post as my own; if I've used an idea of someone's, I think it
appropriate that I give credit where credit is due, if they so desire.  I've
looked closely at Mladen's stuff for a long time now, and the temptation is
great to use some of his ideas directly; but I know how he feels about this,
and I would never disrespect him in this way.  If the temptation was too great,
I would definitely ask his permission.

Just think about what the state of our mecha would be without Mladen's
presence, or Mark Sandlin's, or Jeremy Sproat's, etc.  They have all managed to
Squeeze a lot of creativity out of smaller mechs.  I feel it the honorable
thing to do to respect their wishes regarding their MOC's.  It has been my
impression that Mark doesn't stress too much about others copying his ideas,
and that's his right.  Mladen, on the other hand, does; that is his right.

So please, respect Mladen's (or anyone else's) wishes.  Ask beforehand if you
plan on posting an MOC with your name on it that obviously uses his ideas.
Otherwise, he may be forced to become a lot more protective of his creations;
and I'm sure nobody wants that!

Christopher

P.S. I think it is REALLY bad form to post a private email in a public forum;
it doesn't mean that the issue cannot be brought up here (i.e. I got a
disturbing email I think needs to discussed, etc.), but private emails should
be just that - PRIVATE!!!