 Off-Topic / Debate / 10711
Re: Mladen Pejic... Cool down.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 22:05:32 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

From a legal standpoint, the author of an e-mail or letter certainly
owns copyright, and then any re-publication will be looked from a
standpoint of "fair use." I think just about any court would find
re-publication of excerpts in an endeavor to understand a threat which
is being made is "fair use", even if those threats are not death
threats.

  Good point.  "Fair use" probably has a much broader than usual definition
when applied to interpersonal correspondence.  Snail-mail letters are made
public all the time, often via media "leaks," but they're released
nonetheless. I'm not sure how the copyright issue applies, since it can also
be argued that, in mailing me, my correspondent is giving me an item that I
can then publish or keep private according to my wish.

I think case law supports copyright protection for the author of a
letter (and by extension e-mail).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com