 General / 30806
Re: Mladen Pejic... Cool down.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 23:57:37 GMT

Alright, I've read this entire thread, and feel that I need to comment, not
that what I say will change anything, but I am compelled.

In my opinion, both Rick and Mladen are wrong in what they did.  Yes, Rick
should not have posted the emails, even despite the second's language and
threatening tone.  However, Mladen should never have asked Rick to give credit
in the first place.

Mladen,  I've looked at both his spider tanks and yours, and on a lego
sculptists stand point, I see little similarities other than four bent legs.
Spiders (and arachnids and insects of the like) have a universally specific
design, and so you can only go so far when you're building them in lego.

Now I will admit, that when I was building my dragon, that I was VERY
protective of my design, only sharing it with people I knew wouldn't try to
copy or rip it off, at least till I was finished.  I wanted to be the first
with a dragon such as mine (I will not argue that Pawel, to my knowledge, was
the first to create a large lego dragon).  But, my dragon is in a very large
scale, and so anyone copying my design would have to copy a lot of things, OR,
a copy of a single part of the dragon would stand out due to its size.  In the
case of these three mechs, there are quite small as things like this go, so it
is incredibly hard to judge it as a copy or an inspiration or what have you.
When you get down to this scale, it's quite easy for two people to come up with
the same design, even though I don't see much of a similarity between Rick and
Mladen's mechs.

And that's my two cents.

--Anthony
http://www.geocities.com/savatheaggie/legohome.html