 Off-Topic / Debate / 10713
Re: Mladen Pejic... Cool down.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 22:15:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

I think case law supports copyright protection for the author of a
letter (and by extension e-mail).

Really? Wow. Do you have any cites? I thought letters were more like phone
calls than like authored works. (only one party to a call needs to consent
to it being recorded and disseminated)

I had always assumed (1) that when I sent words to someone else, unless I
explicitly asserted copyright, that I waived my rights to my words and that
person could do with the words as they wished...

That then means that the "don't release email without permission" thinking
has the force of politeness and custom, but not law.

I dunno, though.