 General / 2882
Re: Fence colours
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 20:33:35 GMT

Gary Istok wrote:

Ah yes!  The proverbial lattice fence pieces.

Others have already described the 2 different styles.  Actually there are 5
different Lattice styles (that I'm aware of) since they first came onto the
scene circa 1968.  For the 1x4 and 2x4 sizes Joshua pretty much covered all the
colors.  I assume what he means by "light purple" is what I refer to as
"magenta" or dark pink, but no matter, whatever you want to call it.

I'm referring to the one-and-only copy in 5840 Garden Playmates, a
Belville set.

1) 1x16 - these have no base to attach to bricks, so the lattice itself  has to
attach to other pieces.  I have a bunch of these in grey (from 1980's train
accessories), and I believe that they also exist in white, but I'm not sure
where from.  Maybe other colors?

Only White, Grey, Red, as others have pointed out, that I know of.

2) 2x4 - fence doors.  These have the swivel top and immovable base (it looks
like a 1x4 plate).  These were available in the fence service packs.  These are
not all that rare.  The Thatcher Perkins Locomotive model builders set (#396)
has 2 of these in the back of the locomotive.  I only know of these in red, but
they might also exist in black.

White was pretty common: 6316 Accessories, 6379 Riding Stable, 4536
Hopper Car, and 4558 Metroliner.

Red from 361 Tea Garden cafe with baker's can.

And again Lt-Purple in 5840 Garden Playmates.

3) 2x3 - fence doors.  These are very rare, and came in old train sets from the
70's.  They were used the same way as in the Thatcher Perkins Locomotive, but
since the LEGO train locomotives were smaller than the huge Thatcher Perkins,
they were only 3 bricks wide instead of 4 bricks wide, due to the smaller
scale.  These opened and closed the same way as the 2x4 fence doors.  A few of
the ones I purchased in German LEGO dealer train accessories, came with 3 long
lattice top, but with a 4 long immovable base, hence a 1 stud gap in the fence
opening.  I'm not sure if LEGO intentionally sold them that way, since I'm not a
LEGO train expert, or if the German dealer put odds and ends together that may
not have belonged.  I know of these 1x3's only in red and black.

All these lattice pieces are among my favorite LEGO pieces.  I use some of them
in my Gothic Cathedral as tower railings, they work great as wall panels in
parking structures, and as archtectural "balustrades" in office buildings, and
appartment balconies.  A very usefull piece.

Other latticed elements:

* A 1x2 latticed window, originally in Pirates sets.  They fit a
3-height window frame (I am not talking about the latter-year arched-top
wimpy things -- this element really could support studs in the
latticework): Blue, Green, White, Yellow (White is most common).

* The 8x8 plate that has a one-stud plate border, and a center 2x2 plate
section, and the rest is latticed.  A common element, originating again
in Pirates (but quickly picked up by Space, then Castle and Town): Black
(most common), Dk-Grey, Grey, Red, White.

* The 6x8 Double-Wing plate has latticework. First used in '96 by
Pirates and Space/Exploriens, then followed up by Aquaraiders in 1997.
Black, Green, White.

* There are 3 5x1, 6-height wall sections with latticework that I'm not
sure I should even list (<g>), since I've only ever seen them in design
patents, but they're latticed, and the lattices (or tubes at the
intersections) take studs: D357512, D356513, and D357716 are the patent
numbers.

-- joshua