 General / 27457
Re: Juniorization Lives, and comments on marketing strategy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 14:30:11 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kevin Johnston writes:
What if Lego finds that the most logical step from Creator is to
something like Bionicle?

That might actually be logical for some kids, like the frequently mentioned
kids who don't have much patience for building. But I doubt it would ever be
true for all kids. The "action figure" lines like Throwbots, Roboriders,
Bionicle have never been targeted at exactly the same audience as System.
That doesn't mean one is going to replace the other; they're for different
tastes. Of course, it's possible to enjoy both -- when I was a kid I had
tons of classic Space and Castle sets as well as action figures.

Also, note that another "logical step" might be from Bionicle to the simpler
Technic sets, then to the advanced Technic sets. Especially considering the
more complicated construction of the Rahi (Bionicle enemies), it's not that
far of a step. Probably smaller than the step from System to Technic, which
I never made until after my dark ages. Of course, some kids may never want
to build anything, and only play with action figures, even into adulthood;
there's quite a large adult action figure community as well. And that's fine.

Personally, I don't see the "action only" audience as LEGO's core audience,
even though Bionicle does involve more building and modularity than any
other action figure I know of. But they have been one part of our audience
since LEGO introduced roleplaying and themes. As always, you can do whatever
you want with our bricks -- build your own creations with them, build only
the primary model and roleplay with it, glue the primary model together and
put it on a shelf forever, make a Brickfilm, or encase floating pieces in
resin as an artwork(which I saw recently)... not everyone has the same
tastes, and they don't have to.

Tomas Clark
Producer, LEGO Direct
The views expressed in this post are not necessarily the views held by my
employer.