 Dear LEGO / 2887
Re: Juniorization Lives, and comments on marketing strategy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 02:08:55 GMT

Long comments:

  I saw two guys today, when I was at Wal*Mart, they looked at a few models
(from Revell) then looked at the legos.  They scanned the sets, then turned
back to the models an took one, and left.  They both seemed interested in
the legos, until they really looked at the quality of the sets.

  The only sets that were sold out were one that were on sale, and there
probly were only a few in the first place.  There were tons of Life On Mars
sets, with new tags on the shelves, and none were gone!

  Set design has lessened, my dad has switched to puzzels cause they're more
challangeing.  I always liked building the frames of trucks, and biuldings
that went together peice by peice.

  The Last point, are the ideas on the backs of the boxes!  When I was small
I looked at the set, then the back of the box.  I judged the quality of a
set by the look of the ideas on the back.  Some set I even built and kept in
the alternative modes.  Now when you look at the back, it shows how to use
the set!  I think most kids can figure that much out.  Now when I go to
Wal*mart i look at the parts in the set, and if I can use them in one of my
current building projects, and don't even care to build the model, and I
give the instructions to a neighbor.  I even noticed a young kid (around 7
years old) looking at the part, and telling his mom "I don't have that
peice."  Sad isn't it?  When I was small I all ways noted that "I don't have
that set!"  The Technic sets used to have great parts too, now the parts are
all strange, aimed for a "younger" audience, I thought Technic was originaly
designed for older people, thats why the sets were more interesting, with
the beams & plates!

  I personaly think Lego is going down the hole with this "juniorization"
thing, and should go back to its roots, even if they offer old sets ;-)!

  Come on Lego get it straight!  My freinds little brother would rather
invest money in Mega Blocks, because "they're cooler."  He likes MB's sports
sets, because he has to build them!

Josh

"Where's the box car door again?"