 Dear LEGO / 2907
Re: Juniorization Lives, and comments on marketing strategy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 16:28:50 GMT

Okay, that was long and rant-ish.  Here are the points I was trying to make,
in brief:
1.  The problem isn't Juniorization, per se, but the application of it.
2.  In order for Lego to survive, they must lure new consumers (small children).
3.  Best way to keep small kids' attention in these short-attention-span
times is something quick to build.  Hence Juniorization.
4.  But, sets for older kids should not contain Juniorized elements, so as
to stimulate their imagination.
5.  Lego designers should have a target age-group audience, and leave the
Juniorized elements out of anything targeted at someone older than 9-ish.
6.  Lego is never going to care too much about AFOL, regardless of what they
say.  We are the addicts.  We are hooked.  Unless we want to take up scale
modeling or scratchbuilding our creations, there is really no other outlet
for the AFOL's creative juices.  So, we're stuck.  Bummer.

James Wilson
Dallas