 General / 27416
Re: Juniorization Lives, and comments on marketing strategy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 22:08:00 GMT

Note from the reaction we've seen from Jake and Tomas, the minifig rumor is
just that - a rumor, and shouldn't be treated as true in the least.
Regardless of opinions whether they will cease to be offered in the future.

-Tim

In lugnet.dear-lego, Kevin Johnston writes:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Andy Lynch writes:
Lego, I second this.

Could someone who is in the know please give us some idea about the future of
the minifig?

Even a post saying that someone is looking into it would be a great start.

In lugnet.dear-lego, Tomas Clark writes:
I don't make the decisions about "the future of minifigs," but quite
honestly, I haven't seen, heard, or smelled a single thing within LEGO that
suggests to me that the minifig is going anywhere. We've been making figures
at other scales for quite some time (Duplo, Technic, Belville, Scala, the
various Technic action figs, Bob the Builder, and Creator, off the top of my
head) for different kinds of sets, which are for different kinds of play.

Hmmm, every one of those product lines is distinctly apart from System in terms
of both content and marketing-- except Creator.  Creator overlaps with System in
a pretty obvious way (obvious to me, anyway-- esp. with the news of the Stone
theme, indicating that Creator is not just a Town replacement).  If it takes
off, one wonders why Lego would continue System; I wouldn't, if I were in their
shoes.  There will be tremendous marketing pressure to introduce all kinds of
interesting follow-on themes, every one of which will take shelf space and
marketing breathing-room away from System.

There are principles of toy design that say "this kind of play suggests
figures with a more detailed face, this kind of play suggests a more
abstracted face."

Is this the appropriate time to mention the almost complete lack of generic
smiley heads in System these days?  ;-)

... If you don't enjoy the kind of play activity that goes
with Jack Stone, don't buy the Jack Stone sets, buy minifig sets instead.

Count on it.  :-)  But it's my opinion/prediction that the mini-fig will
disappear in a few years-- even if Lego isn't planning on it now, it seems like
that's just the way the market is headed.  Can't say I blame Lego, as a company,
for wanting to go there.

To address the original request that Andy made, for Lego to make a public
clarification: they gain nothing by making such a statement, so personally I am
not expecting one.  And even if they said there was no *plan* to stop marketing
mini-figures, that doesn't mean it won't happen, if Creator takes off and System
dwindles away.

Kevin