 General / 27417
Re: Juniorization Lives, and comments on marketing strategy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 22:14:39 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Kevin Johnston writes:
And even if they said there was no *plan* to stop marketing
mini-figures, that doesn't mean it won't happen, if Creator takes off and System
dwindles away.

Isn't this pointless speculation? You'd be paranoid about the end of
minifigs even if told otherwise? Like Tim said, stay focused.

Tomas tried to explain "This does not mean the end of minifigs". And here we
even have Alpha Team, aimed at a higher age group than Creator for sure.
Harry Potter, figures as yet unknown, will be aimed at 8-12, the classic
minifig audience. There will be more Star Wars for 2 more movies--why not
minifigs in those? (Lego doesn't have an license to make 5" action figures
anyway, Hasbro has that right.)

Last year had new minifig themes, and they're now in the two lines that seem
to be most credible amongst AFOLs currently (Life on Mars, Alpha Team).

The bigger worry IMHO is still that licensed themes will push aside original
themes--but look, there are two original themes this year. I'm not as likely
to collect Alpha Team as some others, but I'm betting my oatmeal LOM is
pulling its weight.

-Erik
just my 2 half-Technic-bushings for the weekend (hey, they also come in
Throwbots)